Life 1 - Chapter 5

I didn't scream.

I couldn't scream.

I was shocked.

Mortified.

Who did this?

I just fell back against the fridge, which was still open.  I couldn't move.

This is just a dream...this is just a dream....

I pinched myself and yelped.  Definitely not dreaming.

I saw a slight red light coming from my right.  (Rhyme time!)  It was a clock.  5:30 AM.

Have I been sitting here that long?

I stood up, extremely shaky.

I trudged out of the kitchen to the Grand Hall.  It was still empty.

I walked out of there and went to the left hall.  I stopped at Mitch's door and knocked slightly.

"B-B-Biggums...."  I whimpered.

I heard a lock turn as the door opened.

"What's wrong, Jerome?"  He asked, yawning.

"I...she...."  I couldn't.  I just couldn't believe it.

Instead, I beckoned Mitch to follow me and turned around, walking back towards the Grand Hall.

"Biggums, what's wrong?  You're scaring me...."

I couldn't get the words out.  I just kept my head down and walked through the door.

I rushed over to the kitchen and nearly ran into the wall.

I steadied myself and trudged in.  Just please don't accuse me....

I stood near the still-opened fridge as Mitch walked in.

"Jerome...what's wron----"  He stopped suddenly.  I knew he had seen the body.

Before he could get any words out, I explained my situation.  "I had woken up around 4:30 AM.  I had been thinking about how today would be the day that secrets would be revealed.  I swore to myself that we had all become good friends.  That no one would kill.  All these thoughts kept me awake, so since my eyes had already got used to the darkness, I decided to get up early and grab some fish.  Nothing was different as I walked to and through the Grand Hall.  The kitchen was abnormally dark, but somehow I got to the fridge.  I opened it, grabbed a couple fish, and closed it.  Before the light went off, though, I saw something.  I opened the fridge again and saw...her.  It's terrifying, Mitch.  I'm terrified."

I could feel tears streaming down my face, getting caught up in my fur.

Mitch stared at Jess a few more seconds before walking over and hugging me.  "Don't worry, Jerome.  We'll figure out who it is."  He pulled back and held onto my shoulders, his brown eyes piercing mine.  "I know you didn't do it."  He said comfortingly.  I nodded and wiped the wetness off my face.

"We need to get the others, though."  I said, glancing at the clock.  5:55 AM.  The lights would turn on in a few minutes.

Mitch smiled sadly and nodded, backing away from me.  I closed the fridge door, darkness enveloping my vision.  "ACK!  Can't see...."  I murmured.  Mitch chuckled and grabbed my hand, making me blush slightly.  (O_o  M...Mer...never mind.)

"I can still see.  Come on, I'll take you back to the dorm hall.  The lights should be on by the time we get there."

As we walked towards the rooms, I heard a buzz before the lights flickered on.  Mitch let go of my hand as we came to the hallway.  "I'll take left, you take right."  Mitch said before going to the first door on the left.

I sighed before going down and knocking on each door loudly.

I stopped in front of one door to knock, but I saw the nameplate.

Aphmau

I shivered before knocking on the last few doors.

Everyone came out, most very grumpy at being woken so early.

"Whhhaaaaaat...?  I'm tireeeeeed...."  Sky groaned.

I tried to get the words out of my mouth, but I couldn't.  I hiccuped.

I really liked Jess.  Not like that, but as a good friend.

"Jess is dead."  Mitch said bluntly.

THAT woke everyone up.

"Wha...how?!"  Ian exclaimed.

Mitch shuddered.  "I don't really wanna tell y'all.  Just...go in the kitchen and prepare yourselves...."  He mumbled the last bit.

Everyone looked at each other before running towards the Grand Hall...and Jess.

Just a few moments later, a loud ring echoed through the halls.  "HEHEHEHEHE!!!!  A body has been discovered, boyo!  Y'all have 15 minutes before the trial!"  MonoKirby sang.

Just after the...intercom thingie shut off, I heard how silent it was.  Nothing moved.  Nothing breathed.  Everything was still with shock.

Then the cries began.  Both Mitch and I gave each other the look of 'we need to join the others.'

We both ran towards the Grand Hall and to the kitchen.

Most of the group was at least 10 feet away from Jess, but Quentin and Ian were examining her.

Barney was on the ground, mumbling.  "Jet.  Jet.  Why youze have to bes first...?"

My heart just broke at the reactions.

Quentin stood up and faced us.  "This happened not too long ago.  Maybe 5 hours or so?"

I frowned.  "I discovered Jess first.  It was 4:30 AM I think."

I glanced at the cake.  "And what's with the cake?"

Ian flinched.  "Umm...that's mine.  Around 9:45 last night, I decided to bake a cake.  You know, to relieve tensions.  I had to use the fridge light to finish what I was doing.  I had put the cake right there on the counter and I went to bed.  I think it was like 12:20 AM or so."

I frowned.  "That makes you a suspect, you know."

He sighed.  "I do know.  I'd rather put info that I have out rather than keep it to myself."

I heard murmuring behind me.  I turned around and spoke.  "Please help search for clues.  If not, we could all die except the murderer."

Slowly, the group dissipated across the kitchen, Grand Hall, and dorm hallway.

We searched and searched for clues, but the time went by way too fast.

"DING-A-LING, DING-A-LING, BOYO!!  Time's up!  Head to the Grand Hall for the first Castle Trial!"  MonoKirby spoke.

We all glanced at each other before heading into the Grand Hall.

What we saw was crazy different.

Instead of the table with 16 chairs, there were 16 podiums in a circle, each with a name.

One of the podiums had Jess's face on a painting in her place.

Once everyone came in, MonoKirby appeared in the center.

"HEHEHEHEHE!!  Let the Castle Trial...BEGIN!  BOYO!"