3

In my hands I hold a white laptop bag, with a laptop that I bought with my first paycheck, about 5 years ago after graduating high school. I thought everything was smooth, I could get my seat in the corporation- Until I had to look for a part time job to block the thoughts.

The sky darkens and for some reason I regret sitting so long at that café earlier on.

My pace quickens when I stare down at my watch that signals a little past 6 in the evening. Not quite yet a peak hour, but I could not afford to wait til the streets get crowded and spare any more time outside. Get home while I can, I tell myself.

I rush home from the café nearest to my house. I had to submit my resume for a new job, but I couldn't quite concentrate in my place. It is never a place I could properly do work at... How can I focus in a house that's paid by the people I detest?

I just received a phone call from my father's younger brother. Initially we all lived under one roof, but ever since that happened, I refused to continue living with them. I wanted to rent out. They disagreed, so they bought a high-end private house and provided me my basic living needs. Perhaps it's to make up for what I lost.

Yet they come and go as if it is their home.

"Jane, we have been waiting for ten minutes. Can you be quicker and hurry back?"

My aunt's frail voice, with a sense of authority that I haven't heard of, for a while, now, caused me to act up like this too.

Why were they visiting me, is a question that never left my mind until I reach the porch of my house.

6:20pm, I take a quick look at my watch. Then I strudge forward and fake a smile.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," I kick my shoes off, stepping into my house, and subsequently let them in. I still have to shut the door and help carry their things to the living room. After all, they are the guests here. And they are my elders.

"Can I get you something to drink?"

"No, I'll make this quick." My uncle answers, and her wife passes him a brown folder of documents. He then stretches his arm and leaves the folder onto the coffee table for me, saying, "This is your father's will. You turned 20 today, so we thought you'd keep this."

I'm... Twenty?

I turn my head to where my calendar is sitting, for a quick check. For sure, I am already of legal age. How can I forget my own birthday?

"You know, it's been a while and we believe you have moved on from that incident... Why don't you move in with us until you get a legitimate job? A promising one?"

Yeah, so I could pity myself while I sob for the loss of my parents, raise money in the daylight and repay you as you get old?

You don't care so stop acting like you do.

"No, auntie. I refuse to move in to that place again," I abruptly interrupted. How am I supposed to live with them when I'm the one causing such misery in our family?

Yeah, note that sarcasm.

Oh, and of course I realize how convenient it is to be an adult now.

Their eyes lock for a second before my auntie, with chunky eyes, gazes at me back. I blink and choose to remain ignorant, opening my mouth to speak. "And because I turn 20 today, I hope you will stop sending money to me. I am old enough to support myself."

"You don't even have a decent job yet..."

"I submitted my resume today, I should be getting one soon."

"Why don't you want to work with us?"

I choked. What did she just say?

"Excuse me? You're asking me to work as your subordinate? Your employee, when my rightful position is highly above yours? How funny, auntie."

I stand up from my seat, preparing to invite them out. My uncle's next words, however, had me frozen and rooted to the ground. Those words I never want to hear or speak of, again.

Butting in like an ass he was, "You are not the reason for your parents' deaths."

No, not again with the lectures.

"Jane Hollister, do you understand me? I have had enough of your immature acts. We are all mournful due to that unfortunate accident, but it has been years, Jane. 5 years since it happened! It is a disappointment to know that I still have to question you on your birthday; When will you grow up and act your age?"

Don't rub it in my face.

I am tired.

"If there is nothing else," I do a quick bow. "Please send yourselves out."

I move to my bedroom steadily and silently. Hands gripping tight, it was not long before the front door click shut and I lightly step out again. My eyefolds once again started to shiver, and my gaze land lastly on the brown folder on the table.

Do I want to open it? What exactly was written inside that my uncle feels obliged to give me this today?

omg the image in the mm is killing meE

anyone a jungkook-biased yehhueheuhe