2

I let out a hesitant click from my tongue as I try focusing on cleaning out my kitchen cabinets, instead of busy thinking about some definitely unalive mannequin. Yet somehow, I couldn't get my mind off the eyes of this simplistic unhuman beauty. I consider myself to be lucky if I could face off with this mannequin- who might or might not have winked at me- the next time we see each other.

Would there ever be, though?

I had a cut and a bruise on one knee because I didn't dodge the sharp end of my 10-year-old coffee table that I know so well, including the littlest scratchmarks on the surface. My mind was far elsewhere.

By 'far elsewhere', I mean this guy with a set of beautiful but intimidating eyes- Aish, I'm thinking of that again.

Am I even in the position to think of others, when I couldn't even take care of myself?

Finding out I've run out of instant ramen meals, I take some cash from my wallet and stash them into the pockets of my sweatpants. I wore my lucky socks, yellow and fluffy and comfy and all that, that were snuck in my sneakers all this while and messily put them on in a flash, not wanting to lose anymore time before the sun sets.

However even before I could step one foot onto the cement road outside my home, my eyes landed on another pair of eyes looking straight into me. Brown, black, intimidating, familiar eyes, behind a red car that's stopped directly next to the pavement.

Instincts hit me and my legs left me dumbfounded. I hurriedly backed off, running back to my house and into the closest bathroom I could get to.

I shut the door tight and locked it with a huff. Leaning my back on the door seems to be the only thing I could do - Until I feel my legs giving up on me.

My body instantly slides downwards, like all the heartbroken girls in a toilet scene of a movie always do. However in reality, my backside came in contact with the cold tiles on the ground harshly, and a grunt sounded from my throat.

What I saw wasn't just cold hard eyes. I saw myself reflecting in those orbs. We have a common motive. The want for attention... Having eyes that hid so much, we seek for survival, even though we are pretty much still alive.

Am I being haunted?

I lift my head up, ever so slowly, looking into the mirror that's oh-so-conveniently right in front of me, with my eyefolds fluttering out of my control.

Ever since my own father and mother died- I have been shaking abnormally, causing sleepless nights in many occasions. I could be exaggerating myself, since I seemed to be perfectly fine. I have money, from relatives... But this wasn't what I wanted.

Financially supported I am, but all this money is a fraud. It wasn't from my own hard work. How vain can I get to use it?

Those 'relatives' never checked up on my wellbeing. They think they took care of me by feeding me with stupid cash and more cash.

They don't know that I'm still connected to the family business. Because I am the rightful heiress... Yet, I'm so scared to own it.

Avoided the corporation's line of business for years.

Why.

And with a stupid 'mannequin' continuously following me, I realised I could never live a typical life of a 19 year old no matter how I try to ignore him.

Is my life normal in the first place?

a/n: this chapter is to express the frustration inside our main character's mind.