Nina Simone biopic

What the actual hell is going on in Hollyhell? It's like a lack of care towards people of color and their stories. It is very seldom we even get a biopic we actually like and can connect with on some level with out it being a big ole fuss over what's being presented to us.

So if you don't know by now, Zoe Saldana is going to be Nina Simone. She essential is Nina Simone in the biopic and I am thoroughly disappointed with anyone involved and let me break it down for you as to why.

1) there were literally 5 to 12 different actresses who were very eligible to play Nina Simone and not just based on looks but on vocal skill, talent and presentation. The fact that casting directors thought that Zoe was the top pic for this biopic is just really telling. No one covered their bases or even looked for other actresses that were qualified.

Hollywood loves to use the same six to seven black female actresses in heavy rotation over and over and people wonder why black talent is never discovered or it's hard to keep at your craft when all of your efforts are being ignored.

2) the black face. The fact that a make up artist and costume director and all of those people on set sat there and painted this woman's face a a darker shade of brown and thought it was okay like "blacks people can't possibly be mad at this, after all she is black as well right?" Shows AGAIN the lack of time, effort, or care they put into this.

When did this become okay? Who gave this the thumbs up? Who? Why? How? Why, again!? This is just disgusting and it gives me a head ache that they'd put this ashy ass fake,  unauthentic, off the wall ass brown on this woman's face!!! 

3. AGAIN there is literally a list of other black women who could have been chosen for this role. Literally :

Adepero Oduye
Lauryn Hill
India.Arie
Viola Davis
Danai Gurira
Uza Aduba
Fantasia
The list goes on...
I personally feel as though colorism plays a hand in all of this as well and this is really up for debate but I have already made my mind up about how Hollywood works. I am sick and tired of dark skinned actors and actresses being skipped over for ROLES that they rightfully deserve as much as anyone else.

People on Twitter will argue you down about how it's about skill and now looks and I'm just like, duh! But are we seriously going to say out of all the actresses and singers that were listed Zoe was the best fit, pick, and face?

Zoe, honey, this is not a good look. I know she may have wanted to do this role because it was an honor and such a once in a life time experience but when they painted her damn face that should been the end of it. Like that should have been when she said "I'm not going to do this" but nooooooo,

 Like that should have been when she said "I'm not going to do this" but nooooooo,

I was watching a Twitter discussion, if you will, go down. Both parties made some really interesting parts although one side tried to ride the fence and play the whole "black people bringing other black people down" offense they each made some really good points. But at the end of the day, no one is trying to bring Zoe down, it's the principle of the whole thing really. It just looks crappy. Especially when you take a look see at the woman who Nina Simone essentially was.

Someone who fought against colorism, battled with herself over her appearance, battled with her self because she was different than most of the black kids who were around her, because her skin was darker, because he nose was wider, because her hair was kinky, and nappy, because of her background and because of her beginnings. All of these things makes Nina Simone's music a legacy, all of these things make her who she was, all of these things are important. For a film to strip many of those things away and water down what I feel like was her essence is vey insulting.

Zoe in general is Afro Latina, and her experiences have been completely different. Many of her statements in the past have been problematic. Honestly I can not condemn her for not knowing what she has said and or did was messed up or wrong. I can't even sit here and say that "she should have known" because she very well should have but her as a Afro Latina one who can be passing if she chooses to, one who has stated that her experiences and her life was never surrounded or around many black people etc. I don't expect her to know the ins and outs of how a black person in America might feel about her doing this. As I wouldn't expect anyone who isn't American and black at the same time to understand the experiences of a black person who is both of those things.

What I'm getting at is that this make up, this costume. Just rubs me wrong because as someone in Twitter said Nina could not ignore her race, her skin, or her hair. These things were her music! So for the casting directors to just think this was an okay route to go...is just annoying and careless.

One more time :

 Careless, ridiculous, and I find it offensive

Careless, ridiculous, and I find it offensive. Sorry I am not sorry. Someone said that we should be content with a black woman getting this role and at least they didn't didn't do what they did to Michael Jackson. NOPE, sorry NOT sorry. We shouldn't have to settle because "at least she's black" that's not the point, we know she's black. But we are not going to ignore black face BECAUSE of her being black. We don't get no passes for being insensitive and ignorant. Miss me with that.  Do better.

...
Excuse all of the typos --

Comment , vote , leave how you feel. If you agree or disagree and why? Was it that bad or can she have a pass? Leave suggestions. Also check out my last rant. Y'all ain't show love.

- K e n n e d y 💛