HMFF23-Surprises

Chapter 23...Surprises

Dawson

I stared through the glass window, where the newborns were on view for the whole hospital. I was so proud of my babies. They were so tiny, but they were mine. I was so caught up at looking at the twins I didn't hear my mother walk up beside me.

"They're absolutely beautiful," she stated. I smiled from ear to ear. I honestly believe I had never been so proud of anything else in my entire life.

Sadie and Shane looked so much alike though Sadie had my black hair, while Shane had Danielle's brown hair. Sadie was fussy and stubborn with an attitude just like Danielle. Shane was sleeping and relaxed like me.

"Mom, she did great!" I smiled thinking back on the delivery. I didn't know how she did it. Heck I couldn't have done it. My hand still kinda hurt, but it was well worth it. I would take a bruised hand for two beautiful babies any day.

"I'm sure she was a natural. Is she sleeping?" My mother asked cocking her head in my direction.

"Yeah, she was dead tired afterwards," I stated still gazing at the twins. I just couldn't stop smiling at them.

"Well she'll have a surprise when she wakes up, your father went to go pick up Owen, Matthew, and the kids at the airport," My mother replied.

"Oh, Mom she'll be thrilled," I stated. She would be, Danielle was kind of worried her Dad would miss out on seeing his grand kids. I mean she was a little ahead of schedule. She knew her father wanted to be here for their birth.

I could see Sadie crying through the window. Sadie had calmed down after a nurse attended to her, but she had the smallest little pout on her face. I knew then, and there she had me wrapped around her little finger. She would be a Daddy's girl that was for sure.

"Have you gotten to hold them yet?" My mother asked. I knew she was just as proud as I was. Even though this was not her first rodeo.

"I did briefly," I sighed. I looked at my mother, and the tears that I held back from before resurfaced. They fell down my face. "Mom it was the greatest feeling in the world. Here I am crying like an idiot, but honestly I don't give a damn. I'm proud to be a father."

"Dawson honey it's alright to cry. You don't have to be a stupid man all the time," she stated teasingly. I just hugged my mom. I think I shocked her for her body tensed up for a second, but then she hugged me back wrapping her arms around me. It had been forever since I hugged my mother. It felt nice. When we finally let go she was crying.

"Stupid, look now you have me crying," she laughed. Suddenly all those times when I was mad at my mother were washed away. All of my grudges gone, and I knew she felt the same way.

"Well good morning Dweeb!" I heard a familiar voice say as I approached the hospital room with the twins. From the hallway I saw Danielle's family. Her Dad, Matthew, and the Triplets. I was so glad that they made it safely.

"Matthew!" Danielle shouted. I think she was happy about her surprise!

"I saw my new niece, and nephew through the window, they're adorable and innocent. There's no way they can be yours," Matthew teased.

"Speaking of which when can I hold them? I want my babies," Danielle pouted.

"Sweetie, I'm sure Dawson's on his way here with them," her dad replied. "Be patient."

"Yeah, they brought them to the room while you were asleep. They started crying so Dawson carried them out try to quiet them down," David stated.

"Bull crap, he just wanted to hold them without being seen as mushy," Rebecca laughed. Her and her crew were visiting also. The room felt so tiny with every one present.