HMFF2-Dream? You Mean Nightmare

Chapter 2....Dream? You Mean Nightmare

I woke up the following day feeling like I'd been hit by a bus. I guess that happens when you get home from a night at the hospital around three and have to wake up for work at six. I don't see how I did it in college, pulling all-nighters and extra work shifts. Well, my college days were definitely over, that's for sure. My body ached in places that I didn't even know were possible. Being an adult and growing older did have its disadvantages. 

I looked through my closet, rummaging for something decent to wear. Since it was Friday, I decided to wear jeans but wore a fancy tee with a cardigan. I didn't want to look too comfortable. After I applied my makeup, you couldn't see the bags under my eyes anymore. I sighed when my clock read six-thirty. That meant it was time to hit the road. My second graders would just have to deal with my appearance. But that was one advantage of teaching elementary students: they didn't judge you for your appearance. They were sweet no matter what.

When I arrived at school, there was a package on my desk. Dr. Sexy was already up and roaring to play with his charade. But why did his charade have to involve my place of work? There was a large bouquet of red roses on my desk. Dr. Conn must have looked at my file to find out where I worked. There was a card stuck in the bouquet. The card read, and I quote, "Make sure you brag about the flowers to your coworkers, and tell them that they are from your fiance when they ask, Dawson."

Dawson, my fiance, has a first name other than Dr. That's nice to know. That would have been very awkward if I was his fiance and didn't know his first name. I just laughed at Dawson. When did he have time to come up with all of this? Did he even sleep last night? Just then, my phone came to life, and I answered it.

"Hello, my fake fiancé," Dawson greeted.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

"Good morning to you too, Hun," I teased. I silently made a gagging motion.

"Good, you're already acting. Did you get the roses?" He asked.

"Yes, I did. Thank you very much," I laughed. The flowers really were beautiful.

"Did you get the present that went with it?" He asked. I was puzzled, and then I saw a small box. I opened it, and inside was a ring box. I slowly opened it, afraid to look inside. Sure enough, there was a massive sparkly engagement ring. The rock was so big that I gasped. "I'm taking your gasp as you found it. Now put that ring on your finger, and don't remove it."

"Is this really necessary?" I questioned. The ring was breathtaking, but it was totally not me. I liked things a little less showy.

"No one is going to believe it unless they see the ring, Darling," he purred. He had a point, and I almost melted at how he called me darling. I knew it was all a show, but he sounded sexy over the phone. "Anyways, I'll see you later today. Brag about how wonderful I am." And then he hung up.

I grabbed the ring and then slid it onto my ring finger. It was a perfect fit. I was admiring my ring when Suzie came into my room. She saw my ring and gasped.

"That's a freaking huge rock!" I heard her say.

"Thank you. I think my fiance did a good job, too," I lied. The word fiance didn't settle well with my stomach. My brain wanted to say this random, sexy doctor I met last night instead.

"I'm guessing this all happened last night?" She questioned, smiling at me. I just nodded my head. "Jesus, Danielle, I didn't even know you were dating someone. Who's the guy, and how did you meet him? Was it love at first sight?"

Shit, the back story. I didn't have one, and I was a horrible liar.

"His name is Dawson Conn, and I met him at one of the charities he hosted for childhood cancer," I replied. "I was definitely swept off my feet when I first saw him. He's such a charmer."