xxi. the brilliant one and the time turner

Start from the beginning

Gemmalynn and Harry studied the strangely familiar silhouettes, before they disappeared. Gemmalynn turned to Harry just as he fell unconscious. She quickly grabbed his shoulders as they slowly slunped to the ground.

"Harry!"

Gemmalynn looked down worriedly at Harry before glancing around as mist rose from the lake and saw Snape appeared at the top of the rise. She sighed in relief and looked, confused at the spot where the silhouette of the man and woman.

⚡⚡⚡

That night, at the Hospital Wing, Harry woke up and rose from his bed and swept his curtain aside and saw Ron on a bed opposite of his, his leg bandaged. He noticed Gemmalynn and Hermione nearby, leaning closer to each other and whispering in secret, but abruptly stopped when Gemmalynn noticed him.

Gemmalynn smiled in relief and rushed to his side. "Harry!" she exclaimed, happily and engulfed him in a tight embrace.

"Harry always gets a hug. You clearly have favourites." Ron complained.

Gemmalynn pulled away from Harry and rolled her eyes, playfully. "Knock yourself out and when you wake up, I'll hug you too." she retorted, making Ron frown.

Harry looked at Gemmalynn and smiled affectionately at her as she and Ron bickered childishly, while Hermione looked at him.

"Harry---"

Harry looked at Hermione. "I've seen my dad and Gem's mum." he said and glanced at Gemmalynn, who stopped bickering with Ron to look at him. "They sent the Dementors away. I saw them across the lake."

Gemmalynn stared at him with a conflicted look on her face. "Harry, I don't think it was them." she said, quietly.

Harry shook his head. "But, Gem---"

Gemmalynn sighed heavily and grabbed his shoulders with teary eyes. "Harry, listen to me. Whether it was your dad and my mum, it's not important. They've captured Sirius. Any minute the Dementors are going to perform the Kiss on him."

"The Kiss?" Harry asked, confused.

Hermione stood beside Gemmalynn and looked at Harry. "It's what Dementors do to those they want to destroy. They clamp their jaws over the victim's mouth and suck out his soul." she explained.

Harry's eyes widen in horror. "You mean, they're going to kill Sirius!"

Gemmalynn shook her head. "No, it's worse. Much worse, Harry. You're better off dying than going on living with no memory, no sense of self." she explained and Hermione nodded.

The door opened and the four Gryffindors turned around to find it was Dumbledore that came in.

"Grandpa! You've got to stop them!"

"They've got the wrong man!"

"It's true, sir. Sirius is innocent."

"It's Scabbers who did it!"

Dumbledore glanced at the four. "Scabbers?"

"My rat, sir. Only, he's not really a rat. Well, he was a rat. You see, he used to be my brother Percy's---"

Hermione glared at Ron. "The point is we know the truth. Please, sir, you must believe us." she said.

"Please, grandpa. Believe us." Gemmalynn pleaded.

"I do, Little Gem, Miss Granger. But, I'm sorry to say the words of two thirteen year old and two fourteen year old wizards will convince few others. A child's voice, however honest and true, is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen." Dumbledore said and turned to the window, just as a shooting star plummeted silently through the sky. "Ah, a shooting star. If ever one was to make a wish, now would be the time. But time, I'm afraid, is precisely our problem."