xxi. the brilliant one and the time turner

Start from the beginning

Gemmalynn and Harry looked at Black, worriedly. "Sirius!"

The dog yelped, roaring in pain as the werewolf flung it into the tall grass. As it charged after, both Gemmalynn and Harry pushed past Snape and dashed into the night. Seeing the two, Hermione tried to follow, but Snape held her back.

"Gemmalynn, Harry!" Hermione shouted, worriedly.

Gemmalynn and Harry ran towards the dog, lying inert with the werewolf's razor-sharp claws suspended over its neck. They looked at it in horror.

"No, Sirius!"

Desperately, Gemmalyn and Harry each plucked a thick branch from the ground and hurled it with all their might towards the werewolf, who turned to them.

"Oh no. We did not think this through." Gemmalynn mumbled, horrified.

Harry grabbed Gemmalynn's hand and pulled her back. He and Gemmalynn drew their wands, terrified, but tormented as well, knowing Lupin dwelled somewhere within the beast.

"Please, Professor Lupin, stop. It's us, Gemmalynn and Harry." Gemmalynn said as her wand trembled in her hand.

Suddenly a howl pierced the night as the werewolf faltered, cocking its head toward the forest. The werewolf snarled as moved closer towards Gemmalynn and Harry, ready to kill.

"Harry." Gemmalynn mumbled, worriedly.

Harry wrapped his arms protectively around Gemmalynn and covered her with his body as they waited when another howl echoed high above the forest. Slowly, Harry glanced back at the werewolf and saw it bounded toward the forest before vanishing.

Gemmalynn and Harry saw the wounded dog slowly lurched through the tall grass, falling and rising as Black disappeared over the ridge, Gemmalynn and Harry sprinted after him. At the Black Lake, they stumbled down to Black, who was now human and laid on the water's edge with his arms and face gleaming with lacerations.

"Sirius! "Sirius!"

Gemmalynn and Harry looked into Black's glassy eyes as a fragile mist escaped both of their mouths. A raw wind tossed their hairs and chill bumped pebble their skins as a fringe of ice appeared at the lake's edge.

Gemmalynn and Harry's eyes widen in fear as Dementors appeared, oozing like smoke through the trees across the lake.

"No, Sirius! No!" Gemmalynn mumbled as her eyes brimmed with tears and glanced down at Sirius worriedly then back to the Dementors. "Harry!"

"No!" Harry shouted as he drew his wand. "Expecto Patronum!"

A thin silvery wisp burst out from Harry's wand, hovering like a veil, but the Dementors continued to come. Harry placed his other hand on Gemmalynn's, which were on Black's heaving heart. He poised his wand towards the Dementors once more.

"Expecto Patronum!"

Harry's Patronus bloomed only briefly before it disappeared. Gemmalynn glanced worriedly at Harry before looking down at Black frantically and saw he was gasping, silvery feathers of light tumbled from his lips, as if his very soul were leaving him.

Gemmalynn and Harry squinted in the distance as two lights splintered the trees and saw a fiery lion and stag appeared, their bodies luminous slashing through the trees, sowing light in the darkness. The Dementors wilt in their wake, but more replace them, sweeping down in waves. Still, the lion and the stag charged on. The lights expanded, making forest blaze with it. The remaining Dementors flee, drifting across the moon like ash as the lights ebbed and the lion's and the stag's luminous bodies flickered. There was a bright flash, and then darkness returned, two threads of light remained, spinning down to the size of a pearl in the palm of man and a woman, standing deep in the trees.