39- Caitlins POV

Preston drapes an arm over my shoulder as we walk around with a few bags in hand.

"Smoothies?" He asks once we come in view of my favorite smoothie stand.

"Let's go!" I reply, grabbing out a five and ordering my favorite smoothie; strawberry mango. Once I get mine I take a big sip. Oh, how I've missed this.

"Let's go in one more store!" I say, dragging him off to hot topic.

"Thank you!" Preston says, happy that we have gone into one of his favorite stores. Mine too.

I walk to the Fairy Tail section and see the cutest Gray necklace. I decide to get it and catch up to Preston, who is ogling the Attack on Titan section. My phone vibrates before I reach him, and I decide to answer it.

"Hello?" I ask.

The person doesn't respond. All I hear is breathing.

"Hello?" I ask again, goosebumps starting to form on my skin.

"I'm coming." An all too familiar voice says. My eyes widen in fear and I drop my phone.

Everybody in the store stops and stares. "Caitlin?" Preston asks, coming close to me."You okay?"

"M-my father. He's coming." I reply shakily, as waves of panic and fear overwhelm me.
----------------------------------------
"Preston! Slow down!" I squeak as he accelerates.

"I'm not gonna slow down! We have to get to the police, and fast! Your father is dangerous, and I can't let him hurt you!" He replies. I blush and look out the window.

Preston cares.

"We're here." He says, holding a hand out for me. I take it, and he wraps his arms around me in a hug. "I won't let you get hurt. Never again." He whispers.

"Thanks, Preston. Especially for putting up with all my crap. It means a lot." I reply. I consider my next words, but decide to say it because it's true. "I love you."

"I love you too." He says sincerely, kissing my forehead. We walk into the police department together.
----------------------------------------
"Oh, Mr. Arsement and Ms. West! What brings you here again?" Officer Berry asks.

"Family issues. Again." I reply.

He runs his face. "I'm sorry, Caitlin. We've looked everywhere for him but he seems to evade and outsmart us. We've got no leads. And we're losing more and more officers."

"W-what do you mean?" I ask him.

"There might be a chance that we have found him, but he is killing our officers." Officer Berry replies.

I sigh. "He's after me right now."

"I don't know if there's much we can do." Officer Berry responds.

"You could use me as bait." I glumly suggest."

Officer Barry thinks about it, but Preston cuts him off. "You won't be used as bait. I won't allow it."

"But it could work." I reply.

"Well, you can't stay here; that's for sure. Your father's too smart for that. We'll increase the amount of officers on your block." Officer Barry says.

"Thank you, Officer Barry." I say.

"Alright. You two get some rest, okay?" He replies. We both nod and walk out the door.
-----------------------------------------
"I'm going to sleep." I say as we enter the condo.

"Alright." Preston replies. "Don't sleep too long."

"I won't." I reply, walking to the bedroom. My phone rings again, and this time I check the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Caitlin?!?!" A familiar voice yells. "Where are you? You've been gone for, like, forever!?!" My old best friend says.

I sigh. "Look, Holden. I'm sorry, okay? My dad was really harsh on me and I needed to escape."

"Oh, I'm sorry." He says.

I raise my brow. "Sorry? For once, the crazy, ultimate and snobby Holden is sorry?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry I was obsessed over you. Ive moved on, though. I'm dating Caroline, from our old school?"

"Oh, her! I remember her. She was really nice. You guys are perfect, and I'm glad you moved on." I say.

"Yeah... I've seen that you moved on as well... Preston, huh?" He says.

"Yeah." I reply. "I'm really happy, Holden." I sigh in happiness.

"You guys are pretty cute together as well." He chuckles.

"Thanks. And you just graduated, right?" I ask.

"Yeah. Only a couple months ago. Caroline and I are gonna go to the same college, and things are getting pretty serious. I might propose to her soon." He states.

I put a hand over my mouth as tears form on the corner of my eyes. "I'm so happy for you!"

He chuckles. "Thanks. We should hang out, like old times; but I get it if you don't wanna."

"We should hang out soon, Holden. I can tell that you've changed." I reply.

"Cool. See ya." He says, hanging up.

.....He's changed.....
----------------------------------------
I wake up from my nap and look around the apartment.

Looks like Preston is out...

I record a video and decide to go for a walk, even though I am in danger right now. I slip Slice down my boots and walk outside. I scan the area and see a police officer nearby, who nods at me.

All clear.

I walk to the park and sit down, breathing deeply, taking in all the pure air and admiring the beautiful scenery. Trees dot around the area and the serene sound of the waterfountain is truly relaxing. The joyous laughter of kids and families, and barks of nearby dogs reaches my ears.

Everything is perfect.

"Can I sit here?" A man asks.

"Sure." I reply, scootching over to give him room.

"Thanks... Caitlin, right?" He asks.

"Yeah... Leo, right?" I ask, remembering that he was one of Dane's henchmen.

"Yeah. I'm sorry for hurting you, you know. Dane was a complete jerk." He spits out, venom in his tone.

"Well, he's in jail now, so we're good." I reply.

"Good. I hear he was sentenced to four years."

"That's harsh, even for him." I say.

"Yeah..." He responds. "So, why did you leave school?"

"I just... Did. My father, I guess." I reply.

"Oh, sorry." He replies.

I stand up. "Guess I'll see you around?"

"Yeah." He responds, standing up as well. "Friends?" He offers his hand.

"Friends." I reply, shaking it. "Well, see ya!" I wave, walking off.
----------------------------------------
I walk back inside the condo and look at my phone. Alanna texted me.

Got a flight for a week... See you then!

I smile. See you then!