Chapter 7 {What sort of trouble?}

Staring at her canvas, Claire felt the welcome vibration of her phone in her pocket. It’d been over a month since Zayn had become her boyfriend and they were still very much in the honeymoon phase. Zayn was perhaps the most attentive boy she had ever met, he was constantly texting her, making sure that everything was alright and that the baby was all good. As much as she found it slightly overprotective and constricting, she couldn’t help but smile at his gesture, he already cared so much for the foetus that was growing inside of her, it was completely adorable.

Placing her paint brush down, she wiped her hands on the rag that sat beside her and slipped her phone from her pocket as she perched on a stool. “Hello?” she giggled despite knowing who was waiting on the other end of the line “Who is this?” she teased. She heard him sigh and grinned even wider herself

“You should really learn to read your caller ID” he teased in response, his tone light-hearted and jokey Claire loved it when he was like that. “Hmmm I probably should” she hummed “So anyways what’s up?”

“You know, just my tri-daily check up on you” he said back, his tone still holding his jokester persona well “So how are you feeling?” he asked. Claire smiled softly and peered down at the flat space that was her stomach. Being only about six weeks into her term, there were no actual signs, bar the morning sickness, of her pregnancy. “Claireee?” he questioned concernedly, Claire merely giggled in response.“Quit doing that, you worry me” he said, relief and teasing echoing clearly in his words

“Sorry, I have an awful habit of drifting off” she replied “I’m alright I guess, still feeling a little washed out”

“It’ll get better” he assured her. That was another thing she adored about him, his incredibly positive outlook, he could take the most awful situation and still come out with a positive reaction.

“Hm, I guess” she hummed softly “So is there another reason you called?” she queried peering at the clock. He made an indistinct sound into the receiver, one that sounded like a muttered sentence. “Zayn?” she asked, concern lacing her words “are you alright?”

“Hm? Yes I am” he said down the receiver, Claire rolled her eyes, she may have had a habit of drifting off, but his was worse “So why else did you call?” she asked again. He sighed in response “You obviously want something” she stated “So what is it Zayn?”

“You” he stated “I want you to come and watch me play tomorrow afternoon” he stated quickly. Her heart dropped. She knew at some point she would have to do it, that she would have to meet Zayn's best mates that she would have to be integrated into his life, but she had not expected it so soon.

“Claire are you still there?” his voice called

“Yeah” she sighed “I’m still here”

“Baby what’s wrong?” he asked

“Nothing is wrong” she retorted

“So you’ll come with me tomorrow? I know it seems a little quick and everything, I just want the guys to meet you, I want you to be comfortable around them so that baby is too. I’m sorry for rushing it, I’m such an idiot” Another little quirk of Zayn's, he had a horrible habit of contradicting himself.

“You’re not an idiot Zayn” Claire soothed him “It is a little quick, but what about our relationship hasn’t been?” she joked, Zayn chuckled into the receiver, soothing the anxiety that had grown within her

“So is that a yes?” he asked, hope echoing loud and clear in his voice, Claire chuckled uneasily and replied “Sure thing why not?”

“Wow baby that is amazing, thank you so much, I’m going to tell the guys, they are going to be so thrilled that they finally get to meet you” he chortled, excitement bouncing in his words “See you then”

“Yeah, bye Zayn”…

.............................................................................................................

Claire glared with a look of irritation at the reflection that stared back at her from the mirror. She stood dressed in one of the jerseys, one that she had bought especially for the occasion. It had Zayn's name and number emblazoned on the back. But it wasn’t the shirt that irritated her, it was everything else. Her hair refused to comply with her demands, her skin shone with a pasty hue, one that irritated her immensely. She thought she looked a mess. “Well oh well, Zaynie boy is certainly lucky” Alex smirked from the door way as Claire fiddled with a strand of dark hair “Do I really look alright?”

“Honey you look drop dead gorgeous” she smiled. Claire felt her cheeks blush and peered down at her converse clad feet “Oh that reminds me, he’s been sitting outside for about ten minutes” she smiled before cantering away. Claire rolled her eyes and stole her bag up from her bed before proceeding outside towards his awaiting car.

“You could just knock on the door” she noted with a smile as she slipped into the passenger seat. The young star turned his gaze to face her and allowed his boyish grin to spread across his face “Sorry” he noted. She smiled too and leant across towards him, placing a soft, yet passionate kiss on his oh so tempting pink lips. “You’re forgiven” she teased “So who are you playing this afternoon?” she asked. Zayn's eyes lit up as their topic of conversation switched to his favourite thing “We’re playing for charity” he said “I see you look the part” he noted peering at the black and white shirt that hung from his girlfriend’s frame “Yes” she giggled “I went out and brought it especially” she giggled. Zayn smiled and pushed her forwards lightly to admire the back “And my name too” he whistled “I’m impressed”

“That was the aim” she teased. Zayn shook his head and placed another soft kiss to her lips, allowing his to linger longer than necessary. They broke apart as the sound of Zayn's vibrating mobile echoed in the air “That would be Harry” he said, Claire cocked her eyebrow “Styles” he clarified. She smiled in understanding and settled into her seat as Zayn revved the engine.

“Whoa” she gaped as she peered up at the towering structure that was the stadium. She knew football stadiums were big, they had to be to accommodate the thousands of fans that devoted their lives to adoring the sport, but she clearly had underestimated them. “It’s pretty amazing if I do say so myself” Zayn chuckled as his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her skinny frame back against his own