CHAPTER I: THE PERKS OF BEING A SCAVENGER

Hello there.

My name is Rey. I'm not really sure how to start these blog things. I'm really just going off what I've seen on movies...

Where do I even start?

Well I guess the first day of the academy would be a good place to begin telling my story:

.

I pull on my morning work uniform after an alarm gives me the wake up call. It's just a cover-all suit; fitting tightly with wraps around my arms and legs, colors of beige. I then slip my feet into the socks that zip to them and my trusty hiking boots. I have to wear gloves as well because in this sun the metal sometimes gets pretty hot. And of course I can't forget my headgear; wraps and goggles to keep the dust out my face, hair, and eyes.

I then strap on my backpack and slide down the banister, letting my feet hit the ground not too hard as I take a breath, looking up to make sure I am not loud and accidentally wake up Unkar. He's not my father. He's my boss. But I was dumped on his doorstep as a baby and so he has somewhat raised me. I work for him like some of the others out here, bringing him parts from the ruins of war in the outskirts. He takes those parts and sells them off to the new militia called the Resistance. It's not a very profitable business but we get by. As long as I do my job every day, I get food, shelter, and money for gas.

Well the gas part is new. I had been "home schooled" up until now which is my sophomore year. But I finally saved up enough to buy a car; a used pickup truck. It's not beautiful but it gets me away from here. I used to dream of using it to run away but I didn't think through what would happen with empty pockets out there.

Anyway, I don't think school is too important, but if it gets me out of the house for part of the day and around some actual faces then I'm happy with it.

I grab an apple from the bowl on the table for breakfast and then stick a water bottle in my pack before heading out the door.

I don't feel the wind when I exit of course, being covered from head to toe. But I watch as the sun barely makes it to the horizon of dirt, seeing the subtle hills behind the dusty plains, the sand making small wind patterns above the ground that catch the light.

It's pretty excluded out here. We live in the nicest house in this unofficial neighborhood of workers that still isn't exactly the nicest house compared to any other in probably the whole universe... You could probably say I'm pretty underground.

Okay I'm not saying that ever again even though it's true.

Well As I was saying, I head out on the open fields towards the outlands, leaving the "civilization" behind. I could say it's a wondrous journey into the unknown, but considering I've been there almost every day that would be a lie.

This is going to take a while. So why don't I just skip the trudging through the sand for now?

After about an hour I see the silhouette of ancient war machines in the distance. I head down to them over the fields of what was once a battle between the Empire and the Rebels. Kind of an important mark in our nation's history. After that the schools around here have severely changed. I'm not sure what the war settled cause there seem to be just as many Darksiders here as Lightsiders. I know that the Dark side got hostile when they tried to freaking eliminate all of the Light side. Well that didn't work out well for them in the end, did it?

Well after that, academy ranks changed. College and high school are merged into one. Freshman now is ages seventeen and eighteen, sophomore is nineteen and twenty, junior is twenty-one and twenty-two, and senior is twenty-three and twenty-four.