The Bad Boy, Cupid & Me [ 15 ]

Start from the beginning

“Exaggerate much?”

“Oh, no, Chloe – this is not exaggeration. This is…this is…un-fucking-believable.”

“Language!”

“English.”

“What?”

“Hey guys!” Both of us looked over to Allie who was cheerfully sucking on a lollipop.

“Hey, here’s your textbook, thanks for letting me borrow it.” Charlie said as he handed over Allie’s Chemistry book. She gave him a wide smile before turning around to pop it back into her locker.

A few of Charlie’s friends on the swimming team called him over, he told us he’d see us at lunchtime and headed towards the other guys. Allie and I found a spare classroom and went inside.

“Tell. Me. Everything.” I demanded loud and clear. I wanted to know exactly what happened last night.

“Well-”

“Are you guys together?!” I gushed out before she could speak.

“No.”

I raised my eyebrows, “No?”

“No.” She shook her head, although she didn’t seem sad.

“Are you…okay…with that?”

“I suggested it.”

“Huh?” If I recall correctly, she was the one that claimed she loved Charlie.

“Last night, after we watched the movie, we talked about…well…us.”

“Yeah, yeah…go on…” I urgently pushed her.

“I just realized that…I don’t like him like that anymore. He’s more like a brother…a friend…everything’s just platonic between us.”

The bell rang, signaling for us to make our way to our next class.

I let out a sigh of relief and instantly felt guilty.

You can lie to others all you want – a fake smile can cover a thousand unshed tears – but you cant lie to yourself.

The truth is; there was always a part of me that never wanted Charlie and Allie to get together.

Saying it to myself just made me feel mean and selfish. I guess, I just always knew they would never work out. I had no hope for them. That’s why I was dreading the breakup if they even did get together. I didn’t want to have to choose between Allie and Charlie - Predominantly because I already knew exactly whom I’d pick.

Charlie.

Every. Single. Time.

~*~

The rest of the day went by in a rush and before I knew it, I was walking through the front door of my house. Taking off my shoes, I walked into the kitchen where my mother was placing assorted freshly baked muffins into a wooden basket. It was moments like these where she constantly reminded me of that redhead off Desperate Housewives; Bree Vandicamp. I mentally shivered inside.

“Hey mum, who are they for?” I asked as I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“They’re for the lovely lady next door – I met her earlier today before work and she insisted on inviting us for afternoon tea. Your father’s got a late shift tonight so it’s just us two then.”