Chapter 30- Aaron

A week has passed since our babies were born. There were no problems with either Caitlin or the twins thankfully. We were both surprised about the twins due to them being two months early. Caitlin led the way through the bustling hospital to our doctor’s room for the twins check up. We came to see if they were mythical or not which Caitlin had been talking about all morning out of excitement.  

“How are they doing?” she asked, sitting down on her chair.

“Fine,” Caitlin answered soon enough.

“Good,” she muttered to herself, not taking her eye of the glowing computer screen.

            She came over and took Jason out of the stroller first. Carefully, she laid him on the bed and took a scanner away from the wall before running it over him. Jason smiled and so did Annabelle. Something beeped on the laptop and he our heads all immediately turned to the source of the noise. She followed the same procedure with Mia but it didn’t beep this time. She turned to her, the news in her hand.

“Mia is but Jason isn’t which means most likely that all your girls will be mermaids,” she informed us.

            I smiled and so did Caitlin. We had a small chat about the twins, just health things especially with Mia being a mermaid and then we travelled over to Caitlin’s parents. Her father met me outside and helped me with the twins and their stuff whilst Caitlin talks to her Mom. I paced up to her and took her hand before trying to drag her away. By the look on her Mom’s face, she was blabbering on, bombarding her with unnecessary information.

“They were fed around an hour ago and they won’t…”

“Caitlin,” I interrupted, “They’ll be fine, your parents raised you and they know what they’re doing. They’ve been through this before. You turned out fine and I’m sure if they look after Mia and Jason for a couple of hours they will be okay.”

            She sighed slightly and she nodded before bidding her parents goodbye. We strolled down the promenade which would last us at the pier. Caitlin made a sly joke about our last joke where she complained about the excessive amount of walking involved. When we arrived at pier, Caitlin didn’t need any persuading to climb into the boat. She hadn’t been swimming for the past week because Annabelle said it was probably best to rest from the drug she had given her. All she talks about is how she’s been itching to go swimming.

            As I rowed out into the ocean, she leant back against the rim of the boat and concealed her eyes. A smile filled her lips and she listened to the music which was the water.

“This is nice,” she mumbled.

            I grunted an agreement, still intent of rowing us further out to sea. She looked from me and to land which was quickly disappearing. Soon enough we were surrounded by nothing but blue, an aqua blue ocean and a baby blue sky. From underneath, I pulled out a picnic basket which immediately made Caitlin smile. Caitlin immediately noticed the freshly washed fruit and picked the tub up before examining it.

“Come on,” I began my lecture, “You should know that I cleaned it.”

“I know but it doesn’t hurt to be safe,” she argued back slightly, not taking her eye of the tub.

“Do you not realise we have twins, it’s going to be very messy,” I told her.

“I know, I’ll adjust,” she decided.

“I was shocked at how Barney reacted to twins, he really liked them a lot, even though our attention has totally shifted,” I brought up.

            She nodded in agreement and carried on her close inspection, the plastic tub passed and she opened it up before popping a blueberry in her mouth. She chewed for a couple of seconds before swallowing, she nodded from the taste and I took a piece and ate it myself. She threw the pizza at me which I gratefully took whilst she took out the ham and cheese salad, this is how any meal we have together ends up like and for desert, strawberries and cream. We didn’t eat a lot before Caitlin stared at the water, wanting filled her eyes.

“Come on, we’ll take a short break,” I answered her question.

            She smiled and leapt strait in, abandoning the boat and probably ruining her dress. But I stripped to my trunks which I put on, knowing that we would end up in the water and followed after her. As I always do, I stared in awe for a minute at her tail before shaking out of the trance which she knows she always leaves me in. I swam after her quickly, soon catching up to her as she slowed her pace to match me.

            We spent around an hour in the water, messing and frolicking around like a love sick couple which we probably were. She hopped onto the boat first and I followed. She dried both of us off and she shifted back, dry and dressed once again. I wish it was that easy for me.

“Thanks,” I said.

“No problem, can we go to my Island?” she asked.

            I nodded and began to follow her command. In all honesty I was hopping she would ask that question.

“This has been great,” she commented.

“Yeah it has,” I agreed.

            My hands were sweating and I became highly nervous as I realised we were less then a mile away from the island. I stopped rowing for a minute and reach into my pocket. My mind was reassured by the hard box against my hands. I muttered a quick prayer to myself and continued to row as the golden beach was coming clearly in site. For me the heat of the sun seemed to intensify as we came closer and the heat began to forget me more. She stood up as she noticed something obscure lay on the sand to seek a closer look.

“There’s a sign on the beach, it says, will you marry me?”