Chapter 7- Aaron

As I was heading back to the surface, bubbles abruptly surrounded me and the water heated up, I’m imprisoned by heat. I see a hand and a wave approaches me. It pushes me down and I cut my arm of a bit of coral, it starts to bleed. A cloud of red invaded the water. I rose to the top and look around felling dazed and soon decided to go home as my arm needed the necessary attention. I was at the exit to the beach when I look back towards the ocean. There’s so much mystery to the sea. I get in my car and drive home, when I arrive I head strait to the bathroom. The first aid box will be very helpful. After I bandaged my arm up I open up my laptop. I get up Google and search mermaids. So many websites, so many theories and so many pictures. I open up the first website and it came up with a webpage, mermaids, real or not?

            It said that there is no proof that mermaids exist but there is no proof that they are a myth. On a different website it says mermaids are sea people, half human and half fish. They are supposed to lure fisherman into the sea with their beautiful voices, that’s where the myth first started. According to some, it was a ship super superstition but apparently to others they’re real. There are so many questions unanswered. Are mermaids real; if so how big is the population?  I thought the one I saw was Caitlin but it can’t be her, can it?

            A long sigh escaped my lips as I became frustrated over what I saw. I would ponder on it for a while, if I didn’t have work. Caitlin was there, maybe she knows something. I took the usual route to school; it took the usual amount of time and I arrived at the expected time. I waited in my office for a while, anticipating the arrival of Caitlin but she never turned up. Maybe she had chickened out of the meeting. I questioned where she was when I received an email from reception saying that Caitlin wouldn’t be in. At the information, I frowned, expecting her to be in after yesterday. The email also gave me permission to have the day off so I headed out of the school. On the way back I was going to head Caitlin’s. She didn’t live far from school, around five minutes. I knocked on the door and soon enough I had an answer. The door swung open to reveal a police man. I frowned again.

“Hello,” he greeted.

“Er, is Caitlin Williams home?” I questioned, “She’s not at school and I was curious to know why.”

“She ran away last night, never came home, we’re searching for her,” he explained, “Could I speak to you for a minute?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

            He swung the door open wider and I stepped through, he led me to the kitchen where I was less then twelve hours ago. It was still in the same state, spotless. Mrs William’s was in the corner, sobbing hysterically, being comforted by Mr Williams who was also fighting the urge to cry. The police officer offered me a seat and I took it with out a word.

“When did you last see Caitlin?” he asked.

“Yesterday night, around ten,” I answered flatly.

“Did she say anything to you?” he inquired yet another question.

“She was struggling with her OCD but I thought we had sorted it out.”

            He nodded as he jotted down everything I said. I was waiting for a while until he moved his head as a signal to let me go.

“Call me, when she returns,” I told her parents, leaving my card on the table.

            They nodded and thanked me before I left. I was heading strait to the beach to swim again. I have to know what was there and whether it was Caitlin or not. So as I entered the water, I was prepared to search every inch of the ocean until I found that creature again.

            I dove deep this time round; I swam through the narrowest of gaps and glided across the widest plains of the bottom. Soon enough, I came across an old wreck. It didn’t take long before my curiosity had drawn me into the wreck. I explored for a while, moving things and opening a wide variety of boxes. Suddenly, a piece of wood collapsed on me, sending me to the floor. I was sure these would be my last minutes, who would know I was here. But something changed, I was in a trance by her beauty, I heard her before I saw her.

            She grabbed me, I couldn’t see her face, she had covered it with her hair but I knew she was a mermaid. She dragged me back to shore by my wrist, the last thing I saw was a swish of her golden tail.

* * *

I woke up to find myself laid in a fine layer of sand. A spluttered cough left my mouth and water flowed out. As I regained myself, I gazed at the ocean, trying to remember what happened. Then it hit me in a flash back of what happened and I remembered everything, absolutely everything, including her. Now I think about it how could I forget her and her beauty? I took my hand to my head and I found something in my hand. It was a locket, it gleamed in the sunlight.

            I took it to the water and washed it over with some water, the gems imbedded in the silver showed themselves. The diamonds were arranged in the initials C.W. I frowned through uncertainty. As I headed back, I took one last look at the water; I imagined her gliding across the wave gracefully. And when I visualised her, I saw my student, Caitlin Williams. What was she and where was she?

__________________________________________

 Next chapter will be up tomorrow, tell me what you think. :)€