Chapter 28- Caitlin

Aaron took my hand in his own and we headed through the bustling hall and out of the room. People parted like the red sea for us to pass through, I think I proved my point well. On the way back, I took a detour to the nearest toilets to throw up. Some of the pregnancy vitamins I’m on don’t agree with me, it’s like having morning sickness again. My doctor claims there isn’t really anything we can do about it. Once I was finished I sighed slightly, hating this side affect from the tablet. Aaron passed me my bag, knowing I would want hand sanitizer. I took out my aqua blue toiletry bag and removed my tooth brush and tooth paste.

“Really?” he questioned me.

Shooting a glare at him, I answered, “It is necessary and there is nothing wrong at all with being prepared. It’s just being sanitary, you know me and I have to be hygienic.”  

            He shrugged and waited patiently whilst I brushed me teeth. A couple of girls entered giving Aaron a strange look but when they realised who he was with, they regretted it and carried on with their own business. The door closed again and the person paused.

“Glad I finally found you,” she admitted, hugging me, “You were so brave.”

“Thanks Alice,” I began, pulling away from her embrace.  

            We headed to Aaron’s office where he produced a tub of crimson red strawberries for us to share and also to be nice, he poured a tub of cream over it. I smiled gratefully before digging in and Alice followed quickly. She gave me a gift; it was a cream photo frame which said our first baby on it. She exclaimed that she had to buy as soon as she saw it and I loved it like she did. I stood up around an hour later and Alice and Aaron both turned their attention to it.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” I explained, “I told you, this baby thinks my bladder is a squeeze toys.”  

“I better be going anyway, I have maths and oh Caitlin, our English teacher said something about not needing to hand in those over due assignments in for extra credit because you got it. Also that you have the rest of the day off from lessons,” Alice told me.

“People are scared of me, aren’t they?” I questioned.

            They both nodded to me and I sighed thinking it was mistake before we both left. Alice departed along the way after hugging me again. On the way down the corridor, someone began to call my name. Cassie began to jog towards me and I stopped to wait. I don’t know why I paused when we’re enemies but to be honest I was just curious to see what she would say. But I was the one to start the conversation off between us. Once again, becoming fed up with the silence in the air.

“Why do you have a problem with me and Aaron?” I asked, deciding it was best to get strait to the point, “What did we do to you?” 

“Nothing,” she replied, leaning against the wall.  

            The answer she gave me left me confused and she began to smirk at me. The look on her face made me think she thought that I was stupid, she probably did and I hate it when she does this. My mouth opened to speak again when she took a step forward, interrupting me. Something in me told me that I should just walk away but once again my curiosity took over. One day it is going to be the death of me.  

“I always knew you were a mermaid, it was so obvious by the way you walked, talked, even smelled. I’m one too but you already knew that, I guess you figured it out when we first met. But I’m not a normal one though because my father was a demon. He was that demented that he actually exposed me to scientists and I spent some of my life being abused because of my power. My true love tried to save me, also kept as a captive because he was a werewolf but he died saving me and I have never forgiven myself. It was my fault he died, I shouldn’t have left him. That thought haunts my every memory. I want you to suffer the way I did because when you do, you’ll feel the same way about filthy humans as I do. You’ll join me and mermaids can take over the world!”

            Everything about Cassie’s past came pouring out of her mouth. The way she explained it made me have a great load of sympathy towards her but I was also shocked at what she had said. Her face fell into a frown after she had explained what happened, regretting saying as much as she did. I began to walk before I talked as I headed towards the stairs, I still needed the toilet.

“I’m sorry for what happened to you, I truly am. I never want to take over the world. And if I was in your situation then I wouldn’t be happy either but revenge won’t get you anywhere, it will make matters worse for you and your family. Its special the power we have and I wouldn’t abuse it under any circumstance. No matter what you do will make me change my mind,” I replied, expressing my opinion.

“Wow,” she looked hurt, “And I thought you were different to everyone else. I guess you’re just one more obstacle in my way. You’re not different to any other person in this world, mythical or not. Just as spiteful and conceited as the rest. ”

“Cassie no it’s just…”

            Than the worst thing happened, she cut me off by pushing me and I went tumbling down two flights of stairs. By the time I had landed, I was in agony. My eyes caught a glimpse of her face and she was shocked that she had done it. The way she looked had apology written all over it. I was gasping for air as blood flowed from various places and that’s when I felt the pain. My hand reached for my head when the first person arrived and screamed, calling for help from anybody. It attracted more people soon enough. I began to loose consciousness when I realized what had happened; I had been forced into labour just under two months early.