Chapter 3- Caitlin

Mr Thompson should have just left me, I’m a freak. I felt strong arms snake around me as I soon figured he was going to carry me out. My mind wouldn’t settle, I just kept crying into him. As he carried me out, I could hear the cacophony of noise coming from the school’s yard, the whole school was out there. More tears fell, making fresh tear tracks down my cheeks. There was no point in protesting, he’s already got me. He just kept walking, not caring how wrong this could look and how people could get the wrong idea. I knew some people would make assumptions, after all, I use to be the target within my year but now I’ve changed, they can’t seem to fault me. But it was me who was oblivious to everything around me; I always had been until now.

            I don’t know what’s happened but my life has changed for the worst. It wasn’t my fault. My curiosity got the better or me, like it always does and now, I have to pay the price. And I have now realised, everything comes with a price. It all started when I was swimming in Florida; we were visiting my Nan at her beach house. We always visit her whilst I’m on vacation as my parents don’t like me to miss school. The trip was amazing, the caves I explored, the rivers and lakes I swam in, the waterfalls I leapt from, I couldn’t believe it.

It was the day before we were due to leave. I was expected to be back at school in a fortnight. Since it was my last day, I decided to spend it exploring. And as I swam, I came across a hole in the rock. Soon it had become obvious where I had arrived, I was near an island. But what was strange is from my view, I saw something enter through the tunnel, it was like energy. It fascinated me, and I decided to follow. Now, I regret it.

 But this particular cave; it struck me with how different it was to the others. It was an underwater cave; the water glistened as I travelled through. The cave was calling to me, inviting me in, it called itself home, my home. As I came towards the end, it opened up into a wider cave. Mid day had arrived; the sun was high in the sky and it was beating down on me. My skin was warm; I felt it glowing from the sun’s burning rays. I rested on the ledge, my legs dipped in the water. It was refreshing, just me and my thoughts. As I stared at the water, the energy caught my eye again, it mesmerized me. It represented what looked like a women but she had a tail.

And as I re-entered the water, she passed through me. As it was mid day, the sun was at the highest point and the most energy was emitted into the waves. I just left, wasn’t sure what to do, all I knew was that it felt weird but in a magical way. Ever since that day, weird things have been going on. My attitude changed, I wanted to change my appearance and it suddenly mattered to me. I also had the urge to stay in water for longer, like it was my only companion and I can also hear where it is, as if it’s calling to me. It has become both my friend and my enemy. Blue highlights came through and my eyes changed colour, both colours represented the ocean. Everything about me, now ties to water, but why?

So now I’m here, not sure what to do, what’s happening. My legs keep changing. It started originally in maths, my mind was pounding and my heart was racing, I felt ill and it forced me to leave. The teacher was dumbstruck, I had never left a lesson like that before, I’m a strait A student, he wouldn't expect it from me. Alice just stared at me; she wanted to follow but the teacher told her to stay. As I headed to the bathroom but my legs fumbled beneath me and began to shimmer with gold. After a while it passed and I named myself a freak.

And also when I was in Mr Thompson’s office and he was making inappropriate presumptions about what happened in maths, I heard the sprinklers before they came on. It was the water, I’m not sure whether it’s warning me or inviting me. I can’t understand it. And then my legs felt weak again, they began to shimmer. It felt like pins and needles at ever inch of my legs. I wasn’t sure what to do when my feet changed into the end of a fish tail. I hid and bunched up for my life, I didn’t know what was happening and I still don’t. I’m afraid, I’m afraid of what I’ve become. Or what the energy is making me become.

“Caitlin,” he sighed, putting me on the grass.

            I curled up again, not knowing what to do and what was going to happen to my legs. It could happen again at anytime, but now he could see me, the whole school would start heading up here once they see us, all of those people.

“Do you realise how stupid you were, that is going to be classed as a suicide attempt,” he informed me.

            I didn’t care anymore, my eyes wept more tears as I realised I probably had hundreds of people watching me. If they see me, I just don’t comprehend what’s happening. I wish it wasn’t a suicide attempt, I wasn’t planning on it to be an attempt and it wouldn’t be if I was dead like I should be.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, “And I need an answer because you’re becoming a risk to yourself.”

            I sat up slightly, my head ached. He sat next to me, I noticed we were next to the building, probably dangerously close but he picked the spot and I’m not moving. He stared at me; trying to read me, understand me. But how does he expect to understand me if I don’t know what I am myself. He turned away frustrated with the silence I had produced. The pain in my head became more intense; I let out a small whimper. His head whipped to me as he figured I was in pain.

“Where does it hurt?” he asked in a gentle tone.

“My head,” I whispered, a lump in my throat had formed, not allowing me to speak.

            I winced, as he touched my forehead, expecting it to hurt. But it didn’t, the pain softened and he removed his hands. But it came back, I thought it was over, but it wasn’t. It shot around me; it began in my head, and ended at my feet. A wave of fire hit me. I rose from the ground and into the air. My hair stood on ends; it looked as if I had been cursed. He stared at me in horror, I rose higher, the whole school watched. A tail came through but only Mr Thompson could see it, only he was close enough. The higher I became the more the pain intensified. The only thing I could do was let the pain take control, there was nothing I could do, the shape in the water had me and she now controlled me. Something magical had me in their grasp and evidently, it didn’t like me much. It was her that wanted me to change, not myself. How could I have been so ignorant?  

            But it suddenly let go, my body hit part of the building with such force. It crumbled as it fell apart. Part of the wall came down with me, and we landed on the floor in a heap, Mr Thompson caught in the mess. However, what I didn’t realise back then but I do now, the figure was a mermaid, and she never left me. And now, she’s coming through. 

Vote for the next chapter and please let me know what you think, keep commenting guys! :)