Chapter 16- Caitlin

The confusion on his face set soon enough when I told him.

“That’s not possible,” he quarrelled.

            I sighed before muttering something he couldn’t hear, tears rolled down my cheeks and I hadn’t looked me in the eye yet, I don’t think I can. He turned and left, heading down the stairs.

“Just please wait, I already know I’m a freak, I don’t need you to tell me it!” I called.

            He ignored me and kept walking. When he turned the corner at the end of the road, I collapsed onto the floor crying. And I would probably stay there until he returned.

* * *

“Caitlin wake up please,” someone ordered as they shook me awake.

            My eyes fluttered open to find Emily bent down next to me with Stevie. I sat up and my hand reached my head, what happened. As I looked around, I saw the sun had lit my surroundings; it was sunset, what happened? Emily helped me up and I leant on Stevie.

“Aaron was in a car crash and we came for you, he mentioned you telling him,” Emily began.

“Yeah after you told him,” I snapped back.

“I knew you would take forever to do it, trust me, I did you a solid,” she answered.         

            I hobbled over to the car and climbed in, they drove to the hospital and I followed Emily and Stevie as they walked through around five corridors before stepping into a room. When we entered he was sleeping, he looked kind of bad to be honest. Cuts and bruises scattered his body, a bandage had been wrapped around her waist. But he didn’t look in pain as he slept; in fact, he was smiling in his sleep.

“What happened?” I asked in a whisper.

 “He was going for a walk, trying to get it into his head and he still doesn’t know from you about the tail,” Stevie began, “When a girl, purposely hit him. Well he says so but there is no proof.”

“Who was it?” I inquired.

“A girl your age named Cassie Jones.”

            I knew she was bad news when she came, I didn’t trust her from the beginning and I definitely don’t now. It was just the way she acted around me, I could tell she was bitter for one reason or another but I couldn’t tell why. My attention adverted back to him; he was stirring in his sleep.

“We’ll leave you two alone,” Emily told me.

            She grabbed Stevie’s hand and headed of out of the room. I sat in the chair against his bed. Tears started flowing down my cheeks when I looked at the state of him. As I shed many tears, I thought about what would have happened if I wasn’t a mermaid, would he still love me? I wouldn’t be pregnant for one thing.

“Hey, don’t cry, it’s alright.”

            My head shot up to see him staring at me, I stuttered for a while, not knowing where to begin but he started for me. He took my hand and kissed the tips of my fingers. A smile graced my lips and he smiled back.

“You still love me?” I asked.

“Always,” he whispered.

            I laughed slightly at him and then smiled again.

“What did you say about Cassie?” I asked, “To Emily and Stevie.”

“Just that it was Cassie driving the car and she could have easily slowed down but she just sped up. She’s out to get me, I can see it now,” he explained to me.

            I sighed and frowned, confusion setting into my face. Why would she have it in for him, it doesn’t make sense. He stroked the back of my head, changing my attention in an instance.

“Can you please go find a nurse, I want to get out off here?” he asked, taking his hand from mine.

            I giggled at him before going to find a nurse. She came back with me and Emily and Stevie tagged along too, realising we have had our private moment. Once we arrived, my doctor approached me.

“Before all four of you go, can I talk to you?” she questioned.

            We all nodded before she leant on the edge of her desk. She pulled her hair back with her hand slightly, to move her hair away from her face. In the light she was in, she reminded me so much of how I looked now. The only difference is that she was brown highlights because of her eye colour. She sighed before beginning the reason on why she had stopped to talk to us.

“Okay, so I am aware of the current situation. That you two are mythical beings,” she started.

            We all nodded in agreement. Aaron was shocked that I knew about his sister but he didn’t question it. I don’t know which one will be harder, telling him I’m pregnant which thankfully could’ve been a lot worse, or telling him I’m half fish. And I know that I’m going to have to tell him soon because he will become curious about why I am pregnant with his child. This is going to be so hard. The doctor sighed before starting the conversation off on why she wanted us here.

“Well, recently, there has been another mythical being let into the city, now she has been known for doing bad. She has one warning left, if she does anything, then she’s in prison for life,” she began to explain, “So I’m warning you now, if anything happens with her, then please phone me.”

            We all accepted her warning and took her card.

“What’s her name and what is she?” Stevie questioned.

“Cassie Jones and she’s a mermaid,” she revealed, “Like me.”