Chapter 33- Caitlin

The sun was concealed behind a cluster of silver clouds, casting dull shadows across different areas of the beach. A cool coastal breeze bit at my bear skin, warning me that it would be dangerous waters today. We were waiting for some form of transport, we had been here for over an hour and we were becoming impatient, Aaron more then me.

“Are we even sure their coming?” he questioned.

“Well if nothing is here in the next couple of minutes, we’ll go for a swim and come back,” I suggested.

“Do you realise how cold it is?” he argued.

“Is Aaron scared of a bit of wind?” I mocked.

“Shut up Williams,” he threatened.

“What you going to do?” I inquired, moving forward to match him.

            He looked down at me and I looked up at him. I broke first, letting a smile break across my lips. He burst out laughing and I joined him too. He turned over to the side, clutching his stomach but abruptly stopped when he spotted something. He grabbed my hand, forcing me to step forward and stand next to him. We watched in amazement as a bubble formed out of the ocean. It expanded quickly, gaining more and more surface area until it stopped. A small chime came from the bubble before announcing something.

“Caitlin Williams and Aaron Thompson, step inside the bubble, only you two other wise there will be consequences,” the bubble spoke.

            Aaron and I stepped through with out a word and the bubble slowly descended as we went deep into the ocean, I never shifted which I found strange. Once we arrived on the ocean bed, we stepped out the bubbled but before it did it called my name.

“Do you wish to stay with your legs?” it asked.

“Er, yes please,” I answered back uncertainly.

“As you wish.”

            We walked away and soon enough we found two mermen swimming at our sides. They didn’t say a word which I was thankful for. Once we arrived, we sat strait down and my lawyer who I didn’t know I hired came along. She was talking to someone and once she faced us, my face broke into a smile.

“You’re a lawyer as well?” Aaron questioned.

            She nodded and seated next to me. We were talking for a while about what we should say and what we shouldn’t before the sheriff came in. It was only Aaron and I with legs, everyone else had a tail.

“All rise for the judge,” he called over the clatter.

            The noise soon died down and we all rose to stand up. The judge for today’s cases swam into the room. She was pretty, long brown hair cascaded past her shoulders and she had hazel eyes which stood out brilliantly against her fair skin. Once she was sat, we all seated as well and Cassie came in being restraint which I couldn’t help snicker at, once she was also seated, a huff left her lips.

“We have two orders of business to discuss,” the judge began, looking from me to Cassie, “First the exposure of our kind. Caitlin your story on the events please.”

            I thought it would be best to tell the truth so my story told on what I did and believed had happened. I said what my actions were and added on the end that I knew it was wrong but I was fed up with Cassie and her rumours and my hormones had a lot to do with my actions. I was a pregnant teen, what do you expect? Cassie scoffed at my answer and I turned to Aaron who nodded at me.

“Bubble?” the judge questioned.

“Yeah,” I answered, showing them what I can do.

            They stared in amazement as I formed a bubble out of the water and carved it into a shape. I evaporated the water by clenching my fist and turned to the judge.

“Is she not meant to be able to do that?” Aaron asked the question for me.

“It’s her,” one of the jury members shouted, with a quivering finger aimed at me.

“We’ll be taking a short a break,” the judge decided.

            She hoped down from her seat and took everyone who was sat on my table out. I leant against the wall and took a deep breath and Annabelle looked to me. She sighed as well as me and Aaron, nothing can be normal in my life. Once the judge joined us, she turned me around and pushed my hair to one side.

“You have the birthmark,” she gasped.

            I spun back around to face her, questioning what had happened. Aaron was staring at me with a confused look on his face. A groan left my lips, what is going on.

“The twins,” he gasped.

“What’s wrong with them now?” I questioned. 

“A few years ago, a prophecy was made speaking of twins, a girl and a boy. Their powers would oppose fire against water. The mother would posses a birthmark, two crescents back to back. On the twins there will be one on each on the lower shoulder blade and they should have been around two months premature. The mother would have powers unknown to the mermaid world but still owns a tail and any mermaids who descend from the family would also own the powers. The boy is prophesised to turn against the family in a battle that would end all battles. The girl is prophesised to become a creature unknown to the mythical world,” Annabelle explained.

“But he’s just a dragon and she’s just a mermaid,” I argued.

“A dragon,” the judge began, “Where did that come from?”

“That would be me,” Aaron answered, raising his hand slightly.

            She nodded to it and then we discussed it some more before entering back into the court room. We all seated and got back to business and I carried on telling my story, now everyone knows that I’m different to everyone.

____________________

One chapter left :(