Chapter 29- Aaron

My name was being shrieked by a voice I recognised to be Cassie, she wasted no time telling me what was wrong.

“Caitlin fell down the stairs; I’ve called an ambulance but…” I didn’t hear the rest, my world had gone blank.

            My body took action as I quickly dashed to the top of the stairs. Blood was slowly dripping off various parts of the stairs. I had to take it steady on the way down to avoid slipping. Once I was there, I looked to Caitlin, she was covered in blood but something about the way she was sat told me that she was hurting in more ways then obvious. Then I realised the blood was becoming lighter in one place then the other, her water had broke, she’s gone into labour. Our baby’s going to be born, whilst the Mom is unconscious two months early, I’m not genius but this can’t be good.

            Sirens blared in the distance, becoming louder by the second and the crowd parted as someone was making their way through.

“What happened?” her uncle asked.

“Stairs,” I managed to escaped.

            Caitlin stirred in my arms slightly, her eyes fluttered.

“Caitlin, stay with me,” I pleaded.

            Her head moved slightly which I took as a nod and then she gasped.

“Babies,” she explained quickly.

“I Know, I love you,” I told her.

“Love too,” she answered before her eyes closed again.

            Her uncle followed me as I we headed outside to meet the ambulance. I stepped in with her still in my arms and laid her down on the stretcher. They were quick to attend to her, accessing her.

“She’s thirty four weeks pregnant, gone into labour from falling down the stairs,” I explained.

“Thank you,” someone muttered.

            Once we had arrived, they rushed Caitlin to an emergency C-Section to get the baby out. They were that fast in working that I couldn’t tell who was working on the operation and who was attending to her injuries. Our doctor Annabelle entered and continued with the operation. I heard a cry a couple of minutes later.

“Congratulations,” a nurse began,” you have a baby girl.”

“Wait, there’s a second,” the male nurse announced, “A boy.”

            And my mind went blank as it entered the clouds, twins. How could this have happened, twins? A boy and girl, why? I’m not sure how long I was out for but it seemed to be a while. I was brought back to reality when Caitlin touched my arms. I stroked her hands.

“We had twins,” I breathed, “Girl and boy.”

            She bolted up but was settled back down by the male nurse. Our doctor handed me the boy and Caitlin the girl. He looked a lot like I did when I was that young but he had Caitlin’s eyes. They twinkle the way hers do. Caitlin was crying happy tears when she let out a scream. Our girl was quickly taken away when she was questioned on what was wrong.

“My ribs,” she gasped.

“You need an MRI scan,” they informed us.

            She nodded. About one hour later the twins had gone for a check up and Caitlin hadn’t come back. The male nurse came and led me through the hospital, I soon enough knew where we were heading. Once we entered, Caitlin was on the bed. I saw our doctor inject her with something and she shot me a smile before her eyes closed.

“What was that?” I questioned.

“Relax, just a mermaid toxin to heal any injuries. She’ll be left with cuts and bruises only,” Annabelle answered.

            I nodded and settled down on the chair next to her bed.

“Been a long day?” the male nurse asked.

“Too right,” I agreed.

“I remember when I first fell in love with Annabelle, that wasn’t easy either,” he told me.

“You two?” I questioned.

            They both nodded and I shrugged. It wasn’t long before the twins had come back in. I stood at the side of the cot and stared down at them. Our boy was sleeping peacefully but our girl was wide awake. I scooped her up with my arms and held her close. Her tiny mouth stiffed a yawn and she took her finger and grabbed my nose. I chuckled slightly. She stared me right in the eye as I held her close. To me she looked like she was smiling, to me she would always be smiling.

“Aaron?” Caitlin asked.

            I turned around to see Caitlin, sat up, rubbing her eye. She was back to her old self, no baby bump. I put our girl down and helped her up. She cried into me suddenly, and I held her close again, stroking her hair.

“Happy or said?” I questioned.

“Not sure,” she answered, “Cassie, she pushed me down the stairs but she didn’t mean to, she regretted it immediately; if she didn’t then she wouldn’t have called the ambulance.”

            As soon as she had said the first part of the story I was in rage, she nearly killed Caitlin, how could she. I was about to speak but Caitlin shushed me immediately. She walked over to the cot and looked at our children.

“I don’t want you shouting, you’ll wake them up,” she began, “What are we naming them.”

“You choose the boy and I’ll choose the girl,” we decided.

            Names ran through my head and I placed my hands on Caitlin’s hips. She leant back into me as she though to. And I soon came to my favourite child hood name.

“Jason Lee Thompson,” she told me.

“Mia Anne Thompson,” I revealed my own name.

“I love it,” we said in unison.

            She pecked me lips and we stared back down at our kids sleeping peacefully.