Chapter 39

Jennifer's POV

It was a month into chemo and I was beginning to feel the effects of it and the cancer. This morning I woke up extremely exhausted and puking my guts out. I also lost several handfuls of hair while I was in the shower. This caused me to break down and just want to crawl back in bed for the day but unfortunately I had prior obligations. I was meeting up with Nick who was one of best friends since my freshman year of college. He was in the city for a conference on hotel marketing. There was no way I was passing up lunch with him especially now since I didn't know how I would be six months from now. I also noticed that I was loosing a lot of weight so it was almost impossible to find clothes I felt confident in. After going through my closet several times I decided on a tshirt dress because it was simple and no matter how skinny I got it still would fit.

"How are things in Pittsburgh treating you?" I asked Nick. We were at a small bistro in Brooklyn that I loved. However, today I did not like the idea of eating one bit. Just another thing I can blame on the chemo.

"Things are good. I got a promotion at work which is always good and I'm looking at houses to buy." He rambled on as he took a sip of his drink. I on the other hand had to cut down my days at the hospital and had to hire a co-director just so all of my usual tasks can still be completed.

"That's great. I'm so happy for you Nick." I smiled at him as I played with the food on my plate.

"How are things really going for you, Jenn? I know you like to seem like you're fine but I know you and I know you're not." He gave me a concerned look.

"I'm just having a hard time adjusting to everything. My hair is starting to fall out in chunks which is never good. I've been sick constantly and it doesn't help the media is speculating things about my relationship because we haven't been spotted in a month." I rested my head in my palm as I thought about all the ridiculous rumors surrounding Harry and I. Most of which saying he abandoned me because I had cancer meanwhile Harry was constantly calling, texting, or face timing me to see how I was.

"Don't listen to the stupid media. Plus I think you would look awesome bald. Remember when I shaved my head sophomore year for some fraternity thing? Worse decision of my life." Nick tried to make light of the situation which is something I've always admired him for.

"You should have listened to Steph and I. We tried to talk you out of it." We continued to banter back and forth when I got a text from Harry.

Looks like I've caused you to develop an eating disorder. Must be all the chemo drugs I feed you. Attached was one of the newest articles about us saying Harry caused me to starve myself so I could look like a model. These things were becoming the norm and we would end up texting back and forth making fun of it.

"We should definitely meet up again before I go home." Nick said as we walked out of the bistro.

"I agree considering I don't know when I'll be home next. Text me or something." I gave nick a hug as we said our goodbyes and went on our separate ways.