Gone

Please read Author's Note

-

  "Five minutes. Okay?" Minho confirms.

  I nod my head, but my mind is going shit shit shit.

  I take a deep breath and tie my hair up before heading to the weapons, grabbing a belt and tucking a few knives into it. I grab a gun and extra sets of bullets before turning to face the others. They've all grabbed similar weapons, our best bet of getting out of here.

  "Four minutes thirty seconds," Minho says, looking at his watch. "Come on."

  We follow him through the doorway and into the hallway. Its dark, except for the lights coming from the blaring sirens. Another bomb hits and shakes the building, dust spilling from the ceiling.

  "They're hitting this area first because this is the opposite side of the southern wing," Bonnie shouts over the noise. "I can get us there."

  "She's right," I agree. "She knows the corridors better than any of us."

  "Alright, lead the way missy." Minho says, stepping behind her.

  "Let's go through the vents to get to the center of the building." She yells.

  "Do you have eyes on Ava?" I ask Minho.

  "They're taking her to the bomb shelter, according to Jorge."

  "I know where that is. Follow my lead." Bonnie says.

  "I'll take up the rear." Brenda adds, cocking her gun.

  We follow Bonnie quickly down the hallway, my anxiety growing more and more with each passing second. Four minutes on the clock. She spots a vent and starts tugging on the cover, struggling to pry it open.

  "Watch out." I hear Newt say from next to me. We all take a step back as he pulls out his gun and shoots at the screws, popping open the vent. Bonnie pulls it away and crawls inside, clicking on a flashlight. Minho goes in next, then Newt, then me, then Brenda following up. The alarms are muffled, my heart beating quickly as we crawl as fast as we can through the tunnel. Bonnie takes a right, then a left, then at the next turn, there are two pathways to take. She sits in front of them, thinking about where to go.

  "Just choose one!" I whisper-yell.

  "I'm trying!" She replies. "If I choose the wrong one then we'll end up going the completely wrong direction!"

  I tap my finger impatiently against the metal vent, my breath quickening as I get even more panicked.

  "There they are!" I voice shouts from behind us. I whip around to see the lights from several soldiers aiming their guns at us.

  Brenda sits up and faces them, placing her gun on her shoulder and aiming the gun at them.

  "Drop your weapon!" They command.