Crumble

"Gally." I respond, standing frozen. His face is scarred and distorted, bringing back the memories of my angry punches and blows after the Maze. I think about all the times Gally threatened and bullied me, and how many times he pushed me over the edge.

  My mom just beams at me. She obviously realizes we were in the Maze together, but little does she know that Gally is the one that killed Chuck. That killed my brother. That killed her son.

  Minho and Bonnie both look at me, I can see the memories of that night flash through Minho's mind, and Bonnie's eyes are filled with guilt.

  I take a seat next to Minho, folding my hands in my lap as Mary goes to find Vince in the kitchen. An awkward silence fills the air, the buzz of the air conditioning the only filler.

  "Well, this is a shucking amazing reunion." Minho says, rubbing his hands on his jeans.

  I look at Gally, not even regretting the permanent damage I inflicted on him. He took one of the best things from me.

  "So that's your mom?" Gally asks, leg propped up on the table, hands behind his head, casual, ignoring the tension filling the room.

  I merely nod my head.

  Gally takes a sip of his water, gulping loudly as another stretch of silence fills the air.

  "What's wrong with you?" Gally nods at Newt, who lifts his head but doesn't respond, just stares at Gally intently.

  "He's sick." I say, quietly, not even sure if Gally heard. The way he asked it makes me stiffen up. He obviously knows Newt has the Flare. It just makes me angry.

  Gally takes another sip of water, "Bummer."

  I feel my hands ball into fits in my lap, but my posture stays upright and my eyes never falter from his face.

  "Enough questions about us," I say timidly. "How did you find The Right Arm?"

  He shrugs. "They rescued me from Wicked's headquarters."

  "Oh really, how long after you killed my brother?" I snap, my hatred for him boiling inside my blood.

  "After you nearly killed me, thank you very much." He quickly replies back, annoyance lacing his voice.

  I take a deep, shuddery breath as he continues to speak.

  "Listen to me, princess. I don't care if you don't like me, I'm not asking you to be friends with me. But do you think I don't care about what I did? Not a day goes by where I'm not thinking about Chuck. I may not like you, but I sure as hell liked him. It wasn't in my control. I didn't know what I was doing. You and I don't have to be buddy-buddies, but we all have one enemy, and that's Wicked. So calm your little pigtails." He says firmly, leaning forward on his knees to get his point across.

  I nod my head, still trying to find a reason to hate him. But I can't. He was getting controlled, just like Aris and I were. And I know exactly how that feels.

  "I'm not wearing pigtails." Is all I say in return.

------------------------------------

  I toss and turn in my empty bed, sheets ruffling as I move around. I stare up at the ceiling, listening to the loud snores of Minho from the hallway and the eerie silence of Denver. I can't even fall asleep, and I don't want to. I don't want to dream about anything, because whatever I dream about will disappear so quickly and I will be faced with reality. And none of my nightmares could be any worse than the one I'm living right now.