18. Surprise Attack

18. Surprise Attack

Blade walks out of the house with the little bottle in his hand, Alaina and Nash right behind him.

"Well that was interesting," Nash says uneasily as he breathes in the air outside.

"Too right," Blade says, still scratching his throat.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Alaina asks, looking at him in concern.

"He'll be fine," Faye says, coming out of the hut. She lays a slender hand on the door frame of the hut, a smile on her face.
"He was affected due to his blood being in the potion."

"I didn't ask for that," Blade says, angry.

"You asked for the potion and seeing that you had your blood before me, I took the opportunity to use yours," Faye says. "The only downside is that you can't die, otherwise the potion won't work so you're linked, like me."

Blade glares up at her. "You're a bitch."

"A witchy bitch," Faye only smiles.

Blade shakes his head in annoyance before turning and leaving. He couldn't face her, not after what he'd just been through. He'd taken minutes to stop from coughing and he was still left with a dry throat.

"Blade," Faye says, yelling out to him.

But it was too late and he'd disappeared into the forest in a fury. Alaina and Nash stand there, looking at each other uneasily.

"Come on," Alaina says seconds later and she heads off after Blade.

Nash looks up at Faye on the porch step of her hut.

"Can I ask you something? Why didn't you use my blood?"

"Because the potion would never get to Eris in time if it had been yours," Faye says with a cunning smile before turning and slinking back into the shadows of her hut.

Nash stands in his position, his eyes still staring at the place Faye had been standing moments ago.

"Oh that's pleasant," Nash says to himself sarcastically before walking off, dazed, after Blade and Alaina.

"Blade stop," Alaina says as Nash makes his way into the scene.

Blade was slumped against a tree, his brain running around in circles. Twitches of the pain were still revelling in his body, his muscles feeling like jelly. He couldn't quite get his head around the fact of what he'd just experienced.

"I'm just a little... frazzled," Blade says.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Alaina asks.

"I'm...." Blade takes a deep breath, not wanting to reply again. Why couldn't they just let him have a few seconds by himself?

"Maybe we should head back into town?" Nash asks.

"What I need is to find my ship and go get Eris," Blade says. "And seeing that we've overstayed our welcome with Faye, we'll have to find another way of finding them."

Alaina looks over Blade one more moment before he storms off around her and out into the opening. He puts the potion into his pant pocket and walks off into the direction of the town.

"Do we have to follow?" Nash asks, feeling exhausted already.

Alaina rolls her eyes, grabs Nash by the cuff of his shirt and stalks off after Blade.