Dark Drarry (request)/Through the Years

Start from the beginning

Now that he was ten and had been able to get his basic necessities out of the way, he was beginning to buy some other stuff that he needed. A new toothbrush made him feel better all over, and a hairbrush calmed his hair down so he wouldn't stand out so much.

This time, he was going to buy a pair of trainers that actually fit.

~~~

Harry sat on the floor of the little cabin. Wind pounded against the walls, making Harry think the whole hut would blow over any second. He drew a cake on the floor using dust, giving it eleven candles. As the watch on his wrist beeped, he blew his drawing away. "Happy birthday, Harry," He murmured to himself.

He wrapped his arms around him, the flimsy blanket he had around him serving very little purpose. He glared at Dudley, who was asleep on the couch. A small puddle of drool formed as he slept, repulsing Harry. He moved, and sat next to the unlit fireplace. He stared at the single log, hoping, wishing, willing it to catch fire.

A moment later, he was warming himself in the soft glow of the firelight, smiling as the chill left his bones.

He laid down, trying to fall asleep now that he was warmer. He drifted off, letting the sound of rain pounding the walls lulling him to sleep. But then, a new voice joined the symphony of a rainstorm, a thump, thump, thump, thump. It was unnatural. Harry sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes as he stared at the trembling door.

The door shook, before it was ripped off its hinges. A large figure stood in the doorway, walking in to the thumping pattern Harry had heard. The man placed the door back where it had been, more jamming it in place than really fixing it. Harry heard Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia walk down the stairs, and heard Dudley wake up. As Uncle Vernon cocked his shotgun, The man smiled.

"'Ello there little 'Arry!"

Harry smiled wide.

~~~

Harry explored Diagonally, watching Hagrid closely. They had just come out of Gringotts with a paper-wrapped package Hagrid couldn't tell Harry about. That was strange, but Harry didn't want to push his luck if he could avoid it. Hagrid guided him to a store called Madam Malkin's, leaving him with instructions to 'talk to the nice lady about yer robes.' Harry thought it a little odd to drop off a kid you weren't in charge of, but he was very used to independence. Harry walked into the store, quickly being ushered onto a stool next to a blond boy.

A tape measure flew around him quick enough to make him dizzy. The boy next to him laughed a bit, and Harry shot him a small glare. The boy didn't seem bothered by that.

"First year at Hogwarts too?" The boy asked. Harry turned to look at him again. He was very... pristine. There didn't seem to be a hair out of place. Harry felt shabby next to him, but that wasn't a new feeling.

"Yes," he answered quickly. Harry knew the boy expected him to say more, but... what was he supposed to say? He knew next to nothing about the wizarding world.

"What house do you think you'll get?" The boy prompted, seeming a little impatient already. Harry narrowed his eyes a little, unsure if he should keep talking to him.

"I'm not sure," Harry looked away from him, back at the mirror. He almost laughed when he heard a frustrated little huff to the side, barely audible over the noise of the shop. The boy didn't seem to appreciate being ignored. Harry felt all the better about his choice.

"Well, I know I'm going to be in Slytherin. All the best wizards go there, and my entire family has been in that house for centuries," the boy said pompously, sharp nose high.