Potters Lightning Fast Auto Repairs (Part 3/3)

Revised: 8/2021
Tags/Warnings: Angst, confessions
Summary: Draco and Harry return to Harry's flat to finish their conversation
Notes: An end to this truly epic saga!! These two are so sweet, I love writing them like this <3

~~~

Draco had put himself together enough to drive by the time Harry came back with the left overs, which ended up being most of the meal. His appetite had dropped. He wondered if Harry's had also. He felt incredibly guilty. But Harry didn't look annoyed or frustrated at all, and had taken care of him. Harry even smiled at him and patted his shoulder as he got into the car.

"Need directions or a GPS?" Harry asked.

Draco shook his head. "I remember, I'll be fine." His voice was raspy, but at least he wasn't actively crying anymore. They drove in silence, listening to the pop music play quietly through the radio. When they arrived to Harry's flat, Harry went around turning lights on and lit a candle on the counter of the living room. It was a small area, rather similar to Draco's own. The privacy and likeness to his own home made him more comfortable at once. Harry did know him well. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach, but he squashed them. It wasn't going to happen, and if it were, now was absolutely not the time.

Harry put tea on the kettle and stood around awkwardly. "Uhm, do you want a blanket?"

Draco chuckled, shaking his head. "No, I'm fine. Thank you."

Draco sat on the couch and Harry pattered around his kitchen while he waited for the kettle to boil. Soon enough, perhaps too soon, they both sat in the small living room with mugs of tea and the left overs between them. Harry ate a sushi roll with his fingers. Draco wrinkled his nose. "What?" Harry asked, smiling. "I don't have chopsticks, and you aren't supposed to use a fork to eat sushi."

"I don't think you're supposed to use your hands, either."

Harry shrugged. "Lesser of two evils, I s'pose." He tossed another roll into his mouth. Draco laughed despite his own mood. Harry smiled brightly at him. Harry ate for a bit longer and Draco sipped at his tea. He was glad the food was getting eaten, and he wasn't exactly eager to continue the conversation. So he let the silence go on until Harry was done. Harry washed his hands in the kitchen, and returned with a small pint of ice cream and two spoons. Draco looked at him in question. "You look like you need it, and I love ice cream. So," he shrugged.

"Thank you." Draco had a small bite. Harry looked to be bracing himself, which made Draco tense.

"I'll be honest when I say I didn't expect most of the things you said," Harry started. Draco flinched. "No, please don't. It's really not-ugh." Harry shook his head. "You're fine, I promise. Don't... freak out, okay?" He waited for Draco to nod.

Harry wiped his palms on his pants. "Okay, so. I didn't expect a lot of what you said. And I want you to know that I really don't hold anything against you. We were both stupid kids under stupid amounts of pressure, and... a lot of, well, stupid things came out of it." Harry rubbed the back of his neck. Draco wondered if it was more of a nervous gesture or an awkward one. Draco shoveled another spoonful of ice cream in his mouth.

"A lot of unfair things happened in that war to both of us. I really had no idea that you were so... conscious of me. I never would have left without speaking to you had I known, but...Hermione always tells me I'm hopelessly oblivious. I don't think that ever really changed." Harry was quite for awhile. Draco saw his jaw working. Harry had been endlessly patient with him, and Draco would return the favor, however long it took Harry to decide what he wanted to say.

"Draco... do you still feel that way about me?"

Draco choked on his bite of ice cream. "Woah! Careful, okay, breathe," Harry encouraged, patting Draco hard on the back while he spluttered. "Are you okay?"

Draco nodded, catching his breath. "Yeah, just. Didn't expect you to ask." Harry watched him carefully. Draco wanted to shrink away from his gaze. "Harry, I didn't do this to pressure you into anythin-"

"No! I mean, I know, I promise," Harry blurted. "I just, well, I want to know. That changes what I say next."

Draco looked at him worriedly. It would change what he said? What, from 'Hey, that's okay buddy! Nothing weird here, we're all good!' if he said no and 'Alright, well I'm going to need you to leave because that's really weird' if he said yes?

Draco didn't think he could speak. So he nodded, not looking at Harry and tensing for the worse. He heard Harry let out a breath. "Okay. Okay. Hey, please relax, I'm not about to do whatever horrible thing you're expecting me to do," Harry said softly.

Draco wouldn't have been able to relax if his life depended on it, but he did make himself breathe evenly and unclench his hands. "Okay, that's a bit better. Draco, would you look at me please?"

No, don't make me. Draco cringed. Did Harry want to tell him to fuck off with his feelings full in the face so Draco couldn't mistake it for anything else? But, no. Harry deserved whatever he asked, Draco knew. He had made Harry's life horrible, and he owed him this and so much more. Draco slowly looked at Harry's face, wanting to flinch away. But Harry was smiling gently and encouraging at him. Draco couldn't see any negative emotions, to his surprise.

"I can't say that I've been harboring some secret crush for you for years." Draco winced. Here it comes. "But," Harry continued, dragging the sound. "I can say that when you walked into my shop I felt like the wind was knocked out of me. And when I opened my door to see you standing there, looking- bloody hell- so attractive, I felt breathless." Draco's head had drooped, but now it snapped up to look at Harry. Harry was now looking away, rubbing his palms against his pants.

"And, and, I don't know if it would work. I still kinda think we'd kill each other if he were alone for too long. But, hell, Draco. I think I'd like to try. If you want to." Harry looked back at him. Again, Draco was wordless, though for a different reason this time around. He knew his mouth was open, and he was sputtering utter nonsense, but Harry was smiling at him and Draco felt like he could have drowned in Harry's eyes.

"I'd like that a lot," Draco whispered. Harry nodded, still smiling.

"Okay. Then we'll try."

Draco left shortly after. Harry had walked him to his car and hugged him tightly before he left. "Get home safe," he told Draco, waving as he drove off. Draco felt utterly light, but nowhere near weightless. He didn't want to be weightless. If he were, he would be ignoring everything that had shaped him. He wanted to remember, he wanted to understand and be connected to Harry. He- he wanted everything. And maybe now, he would have a chance to get that. He knew he had time, for once. Time to say everything he hadn't been able to articulate tonight.

He had time. And he had a mechanic as a boyfriend. Draco giggled to himself. Maybe this would go well for him. He hoped so.