Chapter 35: A Little Too Late

Start from the beginning

“I hope you both know what you’re doing. And aww! You’re blushing,” he teased as he made her some coffee.

“Whatever Julian. How are things with Paula?” Leila took a sip of her coffee.

“Well you see… We are already divorced… I found out that I… I was in denial all these years,” he furrowed his brows nervously.

“What do you mean?” Leila pressed on.

“I… I thought that I loved her and I did… But only as a sister. I found out that while attending this business workshop… I found out that I was never really attracted towards women,” he looked down in embarrassment.

Leila’s mouth dropped in shock. She had always thought that he was a feminine type of guy… She never thought that… “You’re attracted to men?” She whispered as he nodded in agreement.

“Julie baby! Why didn’t you wake me up? I could’ve-“ A voice rang out, causing Leila’s head to snap towards it. There stood a man with bright brown eyes and light blond hair. “Oh hey, Leila! How are things with Mason?” he asked, pulling her into a hug.

“They are going through a divorce,” Julian answered for her.

“Oh honey, we’re here for you,” the guy pulled away and looked at her closely. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Who are you?” she questioned, examining his face closely.

“So it is true! I’m so sorry. I’m Ramon, Julian’s partner,” he blushed looking at Julian.

“Oh,” Leila nodded. “It was nice to meet you.”

“Pleasure’s all mine,” he smiled weakly.

“I’ll leave you two to run your business then,” Leila smiled back, looking for a table to sit on.

“It was nice seeing you again!” Ramon called out to her as he kissed Julian’s cheek.

Leila sat down on the table and played with her fingers. Who would have thought that the former most wanted bachelor in town would turn up like that? Leila shook her head. Fate surely had its ways of surprising her. Looking at her phone, she sighed. He was ten minutes late.

“Hey,” an unfamiliar voice greeted her. She looked up and met two piercing sapphire orbs. Who was he? Leila frowned, continuing to look at him closely.

“Hi,” she whispered.

“You don’t know how long I’ve waited for this moment,” he looked at her with those shiny blue eyes.

“What do you mean? I don’t even know you! And seriously, I was supposed to meet someone else,” she started to panic and looked around the café. She let out a sigh of relief as she saw many other customers chatting away. She can scream for help if he tried something.

“Hey, don’t be scared. It’s me, Kyle. Remember?” He said anxiously looking around the café, then back at her.

“How can I forget? The one who constantly made my life hell,” she gripped on the edge of the table tightly.

“Look, I’m here to apologize.” He pleaded.

“You’re eight years late,” she laughed humorlessly.

“I know… But… You don’t know what went on during those eight years…” he trailed looking at her guiltily.

“Really? Then tell me,” she frowned as she took a sip of her coffee. It didn’t help at all. The lump in her throat was forming and it was getting bigger by the second.