Chapter 19: I Hate Dares

Might contain errors. NOT edited.

Chapter 19: I Hate Dares

For the rest of the summer, Leila spent lots of time with Mary Joy. Mary Joy helped Leila shop for new and fashionable clothes. She wanted her step brother to come crawling back to a much more confident Leila.

Louis drowned himself in all kinds of jobs. He mowed lawns, became the newspaper boy and even became an intern in their mom’s office. She even spent some alone time with Jason.

Jason took her to what he called ‘friendly dates.’ He took her to the carnival, to watch movies, and even to the beach. He taught her how to swim! Jason was like a second brother to her. He was sweet, kind, and caring. She never brought up the subject about his sister. She wanted him to tell her himself.

It was their last week of summer. Louis, Leila, Jason, and Mary Joy all planned to head to the beach and soak up the sun. Leila wore her blue sundress over her white bikini. Mary Joy picked it out, making sure it wasn’t too revealing. Louis came in with Mary Joy and Jason in tow.

“You guys ready?” He asked, excitement clearly written all over his face.

“Yeah!” They all said together.

Leila’s mother started the car as they all stepped inside. It was only a ten minute drive to the beach.

“Here,” their mother handed Louis a twenty dollar bill. “I hope that’s enough to buy whatever it is that you want there. Have fun and be safe!”

“Thanks for the ride, Mrs. McCormick,” Mary Joy was the first to step out.

“Yeah, thanks Mrs. M,” Jason squinted his eyes due to the brightness of the sun.

“It was no problem.”

“Bye mom,” Leila kissed her mom’s cheeks and headed towards Mary Joy.

“See you later,” Louis hugged his mom and caught up with Leila.

“Let’s go for a swim!” Mary Joy bounced in excitement.

Louis and Jason took off their shirts and placed them on the blanket. Mary Joy turned around and took off her sundress, revealing her pink bikini. Leila looked at her perfectly toned body and gulped. She has always been self conscious.

“Come on LJ! Take it off,” Mary Joy looked at her expectantly.

“I… I don’t want to.” Leila looked down in embarrassment.

“Come on LJ. You can’t swim in that sundress! Just take it off. If anyone tries to eye rape you or go perving on you, I’ll give them my piece of mind. Well, it’s more like my fist to their faces,” Mary Joy giggled, causing Leila to chuckle.

“Fine,” Leila lifted off the sundress and almost immediately, Jason stopped talking to Louis. He stared at Leila’s body in awe.

“Hey bro, wha-“ Louis looked at the direction Jason ogled at. His left hand involuntarily collided with Jason’s head. “That’s my sister you’re staring at! Watch it!” He looked at a love struck Jason and chuckled.

“Sorry man. I…She’s…” Jason was truly at loss of words.

“Yeah, yeah. She is my twin after all,” Louis laughed.

“Fraternal twin, you mean.” Jason smirked as he headed towards the girls. “You girls ready to swim?”

“Yup,” Mary Joy exclaimed, running towards the water.

“Y-y-yeah,” Leila felt warmth rush up to her cheeks. Jason looked at her softly and smiled.

“Let’s go?” He held out his hand towards her. She took it and returned his smile. “You look really beautiful, Leila. Don’t worry about what others think. You’re perfect.”

Leila blushed even more and kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you,” she whispered lightly. Within seconds, Jason slung her onto his shoulder and slammed her into the cool water. “You’re going down, Jay!” She screamed as she reached the surface. She came back down and pulled his leg.

“Ugh!” He lost his balance and dove in after Leila.

They spent the whole day playing and splashing each other.  They were playing tag. They all swam away from Leila for she was the 'it.'

Leila laughed uncontrollably as she reached for Jason. She stumbled and swam towards the surface. The sight of them made her heart beat quickly. Her breath got caught in her throat. Jason looked at her with concern written all over his eyes.

“What’s wrong?” He swam towards her.

“Look,” she raised her finger shakily towards the direction she’s staring at.

Jason gasped as he gave her a side hug. “You need to get Louis. Make sure he doesn’t see them,” Leila looked at him with her icy blue eyes.

“I’ll try,” Jason pulled back as he saw Mary Joy rushed over to them.

“It’s too late for that!” She exclaimed as they turned their heads towards a fuming Louis.

It all happened so fast. His fist collided with his cheek, earning lots of gasps and a small scream from her.

Leila rushed over to the scene, shoving people away. “Move!” She pushed impatiently.

She tugged on her brother’s arm. “Let’s go. Come one, they’re not worth it!” She looked at him pleadingly. Almost immediately, Louis relaxed his tense shoulders.

“I want nothing to do with you, Abigail. I stuck with you, even though I knew you’ve hurt my sister. I even lied for you, just so you can keep your popularity and stupid secret,” Louis hissed and continued, “and you, I forgave you for hurting my sister. For making her like or maybe even love you and having you crush her heart! I’m just over this whole thing. You can have her, Mason. You two deserve each other.” Her brother spat out as he walked away from the crowd.

Leila turned to Mason. His face held regret and sorrow. She felt anger coursing through her veins.

“It was all because of a da-“ He was cut off by her hand colliding with his face. The slap echoed through the silence.

“Save it, Carmichael. You are dead to me, remember?” With that, she turned and left him in shock and guilt.

Mason stared after the girl he secretly loved. That kiss meant nothing to him. It was nothing compared to the one she shared with Leila. He shook his head. It was all because of a stupid dare.

The dare that ruined his friendship with Louis. The dare that ruined his chances of Leila forgiving him.

“I hate dares,” he muttered to himself.

-----------------------END OF CHAPTER 19-----------------------

VOTE.

COMMENT.

FAN?

<3