28 - I'm Glad You're Back

Pete's POV

I don't know what to do anymore. I've seen my friend die. I've killed the one and only love of my life. And now I'm alone. Alone in the whole universe. At least that's what it feels like.

I hear a door open slowly and I look up, not even caring whether it's a person that wants to kill me or to help me. There is a tall figure standing in the doorway and as I try to make my vision get into focus, I realise this might be the only person that truly understands me.

It's my sister.

She slowly walks towards me and kneels beside me. She doesn't say anything. She just wraps her arms around me, letting me rest my head on her shoulder and close my eyes, pretending this is all just a bad dream and I will wake up in a world where I've never killed anyone.

"Pete...", she whispers while softly stroking my hair, like she used to do when I was younger and I had the flu. She always sat next to me, trying to soothe me to sleep.

"Pete... I've come to take you..."

"Take me?", I look up at her with a scared expression on my face. I don't want to go anywhere. I want to just stay here and cry and forget about my existence.

"Take you Home", she says. "Your task is done. It's over. You're safe again."

"No, it's not!", I shout. "It's not over! It's never over! Patrick's dead! Patrick's dead and he will never come back! You understand me? Never!!"

Somehow it helps to let it all out this way but it also makes all the memories hit me right in the chest again. I look at my sister, who doesn't look upset at all. She even smiles a little.

"What, you think this is funny?!", I shout in disbelief. "You really think this is the time to laugh?"

"Pete, listen-", my sister tries to interrupt me.

"No, no, you listen!" My voice is cracking. "The only person who helped me recover from your death was Patrick! And he's dead! He's gone! He's fucking gone! And you're fucking smiling!"

"Pete, seriously, listen to me", she says angrily. "Use your head. Yes, Patrick is dead. But you're dead too, you idiot."

"Wh- what?", I stutter, too blown away to say anything else. I'm dead? Yes, I'm dead... But I'm still here. And Patrick's dead... Can he-

"Yes, he can", my sister smiles. Apparently I said everything out loud. "He is in Heaven. I've just been told everything. I came to get you so I could take you to him."

As I stay silent she continues. "So, are you coming with me or what?"

I'm about to say yes until I remember something. "Andy... Phil... They're still here..."

"Nope, others took care of them. They're safely in Heaven right now, just like Patrick. The only Angel left on Earth is you."

"And Lucifer", I say, thinking of what he once said. That even the Devil is a fallen Angel.

"What do you mean?", my sister asks.

"Well, we need to take care of him", I say. "I mean, we can't just leave him here, right?"

"He only wants to talk to people he knows well", she mumbles. "So Patrick's gonna talk to him..."

"What?!", I shout. "You're just gonna let him talk to Lucifer again? Who the hell allowed this?"

"God himself...", my sister mumbles, immediately stopping me from saying any more insults.

"Oh... Well...", I say, desperate for words. "Tell... Tell God that if he wants to let Patrick talk to Lucifer... He also has to let me talk to him. I won't leave Patrick alone with that psychopath again!"