5 - My Fault

Patrick's POV

What have I done? Oh god, what have I done? How could I do this? Have I suddenly become heartless? Have I?

I have been walking across an empty parking lot for ages now, trying to clear my mind.

I had to pull over because of the tears that blurred my vision. They appeared when our song came on the radio. I remember we used to dance to it all night long.

I stop and sit down next to my car on the ground. I bury my head in my hands and let the tears flow.

How could I do this, I ask myself again. I think this is the worst decision I've ever made. How could I ever think that this would be better?

I am probably the only one who is whining. I think Pete is just moving on with his life, he has better things to think about than his stupid ex-boyfriend who left him.

I remember that day like it was yesterday, even though two weeks have passed. Two weeks of traveling from city to city, finding places to sleep, and being stuck in my own mind.

I close my eyes and let the flashback take over.

"Pete?", I ask carefully as I see someone coming closer. I don't have my glasses on so I can only see a blurry figure.

"Who else?", the person says as he runs towards me and pulls me into a hug.

I bite my lip and push him back, softly. Pete looks confused, and also slightly offended.

I take a deep, shuddering breath and try to look my boyfriend in the eye, which isn't easy.

"Pat?", Pete asks. "What the hell is going on? Wh- why are you acting so strange?". I hear his voice break and so does my heart.

"I think we should be done", I say, deciding that it has to be easier after I've said it. I was oh-so-wrong.

Pete gasps for air, not saying anything. He takes a step back, like I have suddenly become another person.