9 - If It's Not Okay, It's Not The End

A/N: Eeeeeppp 400 reads, what is life? Thank you all so much!

Pete's POV

The words Dan just said bring tears to my eyes. They aren't tears of sadness, but of disbelief. Is that really how they see me? They think that it was brave to end my life? That it was a thing to be proud of? It wasn't. It was pathetic. It showed that I was too weak to live my own life.

Dan pulls me out of my thoughts with a soft tap on my shoulder. He looks careful at me with those big brown eyes. He is taller than me, but I can see that he is at least five years younger than I am.

"Are- are you okay?", he asks a bit scared. He clearly has never seen anyone older than him on the verge of tears. I take a deep breath and put a fake smile on.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where do you want to take me first?", I say, hoping my smile looks convincing enough.

"Uhh... We can go see the lake, or I can show you the other rooms, or we can see the hills or...", Dan starts rambling. I laugh, and this time it's not forced. I've never seen anyone being so enthusiastic about showing me things.

"Wait, we can go get Phil!", Dan finally says. "He probably wants to see you too and then he can come with us!". He makes some kind of jump of excitement and grabs my arm.

"Come on, we have to go! We have already wasted way too much time by just standing here!". He pulls me forward through that endless corridor until we're standing in the big hall that I first saw when I flew through the portal.

Dan walks towards the other end of the hall and it almost seems like we are going to walk through the wall, which wouldn't suprise me, until he takes a left into another, shorter corridor which leads to a room that looks similar to the room where Caty sleeps.

"Phil!", Dan shouts, making me jump. I almost forgot he was here while admiring everything we were walking past.

A boy, about the same age and height as Dan, sticks his head around the corner. He looks a lot like Dan, except that he has black hair and bright blue eyes, and that his fringe goes to the other side.

A smile appears on his face as he sees his friend standing there, and a kind of shocked look replaces it as he sees me standing next to him. I wave awkwardly and Phil snaps out of his thoughts.

"Oh- uh, hey", he says. "Are you the new one?", he asks. It gets on my nerves that everyone keeps calling me 'new one'. I have a name, and I would appreciate if people called me what I'm supposed to be called.

"Yes, I'm Pete", I say slightly annoyed. Phil notices that and blushes. He looks down with a bit of a sad face. That scares me, I didn't want to make this kid feel sad!

"I'm sorry. It's just that... everybody calls you that", he says softly.

"He's really insecure", Dan whispers in my ear. "Please don't get angry at him or something"

"Oh... okay", I say awkardly. "So, where do you guys want to take me?", I ask, trying to change the subject and make the mood a little lighter

"Uh... Hills would be nice... I guess?", Phil mumbles and Dan nods immediately in approval. I get the feeling that Phil could have said anything and Dan would agree anyway.

"Fine", I shrug. I know that I seem uninterested but I honestly couldn't care less where we would go. I know that I will be the third wheel with these two lovers.

Dan and Phil guide me to the exit of this building; a huge, heavy door made of the same dark kind of wood you see everywhere in this godforsaken place.

As soon as I am standing outside, the sunshine nearly blinds me. It has been so long since I have seen actual sunlight that it almost scares me.

I follow Dan and Phil without saying anything. They're too busy talking to each other anyway. It hurts that I used to have friends that were that close. But instead I chose to leave them.

After we walked for about fifteen minutes, the building is nowhere to be seen. It is beautiful out here, with the sound of birds filling my ears and the wind blowing through my hair. I close my eyes and breathe in the fresh air.

"Come on, let's see who is the fastest", Dan says, waking me from my thoughts.

"The person who reaches the building as first, wins and we will do all of his chores for a week".

Dan leans back a bit and a pair of wings unfold behind his back. The tips of these ones are a dark shade of blue, and I'm wondering how he died.

Phil does the same and I notice that his wings have the same shade of blue on the edges. Could be coincidence, but I doubt that.

I lean backwards and let my wings unfold too. It still feels weird, but it doesn't hurt anymore. I move them a bit, just to make sure that they are actually there, that I actually have wings.

Just before I am about to fly away, Dan puts a hand on my shoulder, keeping me on the ground.

"It's going to be okay, you know?", he says in a soft voice.

I look at him with a confused expression on my face. Dan smiles and repeats it.

"It's going to be okay in the end. And if it's not okay, it's not the end."

And I don't know how the hell that boy did it, but those words were exactly what I needed right now.

I smile and nod, but try to change the subject before I'm going to cry.

I ready my wings, leaning forward a bit.

"Are ya ready?", I ask Dan and Phil, a smile spreading across my face. They nod and without any warning, I launch myself into the air and let the wind get underneath my wings.

Focused on my destination I race forward, the cold air playing tricks with my hair, and I realise Dan was right.

It's going to be okay in the end, and if it's not okay, it's not the end.