Harry turned off the lamp and the room was cast into darkness, lit only by the sliver of waning moonlight. Brooke leaned into Harry, listening to his heavy breathing. He was asleep already. He unconsciously wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. In the faint light, Brooke studied his features. His loose brown curls were messily shifted away from his face. A short shadow was cast across Harry's face from his eyelashes.

He deserves better than me.

Brooke tried to push the nagging thought away.

It came back.

Harry wants a kid, he even said it himself. Why did this have to happen?

Why did I have to lose the baby?

***

Jewell woke with a start.

Niall isn't here to wake me anymore.

Jewell angrily shoved the covers off and padded to the bathroom.

Her untamed hair and the bags under her eyes disgusted her, and she stepped into the shower.

Jewell let out a breath as she leaned back against the cold tile wall of the shower. The London flat that shed been renting was nice, but since she and Niall broke up, Jewell was thinking about moving back to Los Angeles.

I can't leave Brooke.

I can't stay here!

Frustrated at her battling emotions, Jewell turned off the steaming water and grabbed a towel before stepping out of the shower. She wiped the steam off of the mirror and looked at herself.

You can do this.

The silent words of encouragement did nothing to calm Jewell. She brushed her teeth before entering the bedroom.

Jewell brushed out her long brown hair and tied it in a fishtail braid before tossing on a navy sundress, white ballet flats, and grabbed her black purse.

The quick walk to Brooke's penthouse allowed Jewell the fresh air that she so desperately needed.

As the elevator dinged to a stop, Jewell stepped off to see Niall and Harry headed towards her. Jewell was suddenly paralyzed before she snapped herself out of the dazed trance.

"Hey, Jewell, here to see Brooke?"

That was Harry, oblivious as usual to the obvious tension.

"Uh, yeah. Thought maybe we could go out."

Harry nodded. "Have a nice time."

As Harry walked away towards the elevator, Jewell prepared to walk past Niall until he grabbed her shoulder.

"Can we talk?"

"What about?" Jewell asked him, feigning curiosity.

"About us."

"I don't this us exists."

Jewell couldn't stop the harsh words from leaving her mouth, but she could keep the tears behind her eyes burning there for as long as she needed.

"I've missed you."

Jewell's heart shattered into countless tiny shards at the sound of Niall's voice. It was sad and broken; nothing like the lively boy he'd been when they were together.

Niall pulled her into a long hug and Jewell couldn't help responding, "I've missed you, too." Swallowing, she forced herself to pull away. "But it isn't going to work. And we can't be together."

Without another word or so much as even a backwards glance, Jewell headed down to the last apartment on the right, where Brooke was.

Brooke answered the door. Much to Jewell's glee, she looked more like her old self; her hair was tied up in a bun, and she wore skinny jeans and an off the shoulder slouchy blue shirt.

"Hey!"

Brooke looked up from where she stood at the opposite side of the kitchen counter. "Hey! Come 'ere."

Jewell walked over to where Brooke was just as the microwave beeped.

"Hold on."

Brooke returned moments later with a white bowl, filled with a white frothy substance.

"What is that?"

"Milk and cream, mixed together and put in the microwave," Brooke explained.

"Okay...but why? Is this some weird Dr. Oz remedy?" Jewell asked slowly.

Brooke leaned down and placed the bowl at Jewell's feet.

"It's for Persia."

Jewell looked down and noticed a kitten at her feet for the first time. It was a pale gray color with a white chest and white paws, and it stared up at Jewell with wide green eyes.

Jewell's gaze traveled from the kitten to Brooke.

"You bought a cat?"

Brooke shook her head. "Harry found her last night. She'd probably be dead without him," she explained, sounding proud.

Jewell lifted the bowl onto the table, and then picked up the tiny kitten and placed her next to it.

"Persia's a pretty name," Jewell commented.

"Yeah," Brooke agreed.

"So, do you want to go out? Like, shopping or something?"

Brooke gasped. "Oh my gosh, shopping! I totally forgot to call Gemma! Do you mind if she comes?"

Jewell shook her head as Brooke dialed Gemma.

***

"I hate frozen yogurt," Brooke complained.

Gemma, Jewell, and Brooke were trying to decide where to get a snack.

"And I don't feel like Starbucks today," Gemma commented.

"Let's just get a hot dog at the hot dig cart," Jewell suggested.

"Sounds good!" Gemma agreed.

Together, the three girls walked towards the hot dog cart, their shopping bags almost weighing them down.

"Um... I'll have the supersize chili dog with fries and a Sprite," Brooke said, glancing over the menu.

Gemma and Jewell ordered and took their food to a table at the food court.

"So, Harry's going to be leaving soon, on the Asian leg of the Take Me Home Tour," Brooke said, popping a fry into her mouth.

"Yeah, same with Ni--" Jewell stopped herself once she realized that they weren't together anymore. "So will the other boys, I guess," she corrected herself.

"How long is it?" Gemma asked.

"Three or four months," Brooke shrugged.

Gemma nodded. "After that, I think they have Australia and New Zealand before the TMH tour is over."

The girls finished their meal before carrying their heavy bags to Gemma's car and driving home.

_____________________________

Sorry for the wait.

5 votes and 3 comments until I post the next chapter!

Love you, babe.

Belle xx