Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

***

Brooke stared out the window and into the darkening sky, where rain was splattering everything in sight.

She placed a bookmark in her book as she heard the front door open.

"Brooke! I have a surprise for you!"

Brooke ignored Harry's excited voice an took her time, nonchalantly ambling down the stairs.

"Hi," she said, kissing his cheek.

"Hi. Look!"

Brooke looked down at the muddy scrap of fur in his hand and made out the face of a kitten.

"Oh my gosh," she gasped. "What happened to it?"

The kitten's fur was matted and completely covered in mud, disguising it's natural color; it's eyes were squeezed shut and it's mouth was wide open in a silent wail.

"I was driving home," Harry began, "and it started raining really hard. Then I saw this box, just kind of laying off to the side of the road, and inside was this dead cat, and two dead kittens, and this one. So I brought it home."

Brooke was silent.

"Can we keep her?"

Harry's green eyes were wide with excitement.

He pouted; a silent plea.

Brooke sighed and took the tiny kitten and headed for upstairs.

Harry followed her into their bathroom, silently watching as she filled the sink with warm water.

"I thought cats hated water," he said, amused.

Brooke smiled. "She seems to like it."

Harry chuckled before he left the bathroom.

Brooke gently placed the kitten I'm the sink. She squeezed out a handful of her Bath & Body Works green apple scented hand soap and gingerly scrubbed the kitten until all the mud was gone.

Unplugging the sink drain, Brooke grabbed a hand towel and wrapped it around the kitten, patting it dry.

"You know, we have a lot in common."

The soft pale gray kitten with a white chest and paws turned her green eyes on Brooke and stared at her in wonder.

"I lost my baby, you lost your mother."

The kitten's tiny jaws spread wide open in a yawn.

"I'm going to call you Persia."

Brooke tossed the hand towel on the counter and walked out of the bathroom, turning off the lights.

Harry was shifting through the closet, looking for something.

"What are you looking for?" Brooke asked.

"This!" Harry triumphantly pulled out a dark brown woven Easter basket.

"For Persia?"

Harry looked confused. "What?"

"I named her Persia," Brooke explained.

"Getting attached, are we?" Harry teased.

"She's so cute," Brooke cooed. Placing her on a pillow, Brooke snatched up a pale blue blanket that sat on the edge of the bed and folded it up before tucking the tiny kitten into the blanket. Persia was almost instantly asleep, and Brooke picked up the blanket and placed it on the window seat. Turning back to Harry, who was already climbing in bed, Brooke took off her bathrobe and climbed in with him.