Chapter Eight

A/N: I was going to just give you an Author's Note, but then I remembered how pissed I get when an author just gives you a note without a chapter. So viola. Anyway, please go read my new story, Amazement, you'll love it! I'm publishing it right after I publish this. Carry on. :)

Chapter Eight:

***

Gemma stood at the front door of Harry and Brooke's penthouse, waiting for the door to be answered. No one came to the door.

That's unusual, she thought as she dug around for her spare key. As she stepped inside, she noticed that the house was eerily silent.

"Brooke? Are you home?"

Gemma jogged up the stairs to the master bedroom. Everything was in order.

Gemma turned to leave before she heard a quiet sobbing.

"Brooke?"

She followed the sound to the bathroom.

"Brooke! Are you okay? It's Gemma," she called through the white door.

"I'll talk to you later, I can't go shopping right now," the muffled answer came from the other side.

Gemma hesitated before shoving the door open.

She was completely and utterly shocked by the devastating scene that was reality.

"I said go away!" Brooke wailed, tears streaming down her face, as she flung a bottle across the floor.

Her sister in law lay in a disheveled heap on the white tile floor, in a pool of bright red blood.

There was blood everywhere. On the sink, in the tub, but mostly in the ghastly puddle of gleaming red liquid that she lay in.

"Brooke," Gemma gasped as she rushed to her side, crouching down. "What is this, what happened?"

"Why is there so much blood?" Brooke whispered in response, her voice rough. "I don't know what's happening, I just know that it hurts, Gemma. What's happening to me?"

Tears sprung to Gemma eyes as she realized what had happened.

"It's okay, baby, lets get you cleaned up, okay?"

Brooke first took a shower, washing the blood off of her body, and then she took a bath, Gemma by her side.

They were both silent.

Brooke's normally bright green eyes were red and raw from all her crying. She shifted, sinking lower into the bath until she was up to her collarbone in hot water. She used water to slick her wet brown hair away from her face as she stared sightlessly at nothing.

"I lost the baby."

Brooke's voice was barely audible; it was a blunt rasp.

"Shh," Gemma soothed her, stroking her head as Brooke's body once again began to rack with heart wrenching sobs.

"I'm going to call Harry, okay? Will you be okay?"

Brooke managed to nod and Gemma stood from her towel.

"Pick up, idiot," she muttered to herself as she paced nervously in the hallway.

"Hello?"

"Harry, you need to come home right now," Gemma whispered urgently.

"Why?" His voice was suddenly concerned. "What's wrong?"

"Just come to the penthouse , right now."