xvii. the open heart and the break in

Start from the beginning

"Intriguing, yes? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Lupin asked his class.

"That's a Boggart, that is." Seamus answered.

Lupin nodded. "Very good, Mr. Finnigan. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?" he asked his class again.

Gemmalynn and Hermione glanced at each other before looking at him. "No one knows."

Ron flinched in surprise when he heard the two girls beside Harry and glanced at them before leaning close to Harry. "When did they get here?" he whispered.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters." Gemmalynn said and looked at Hermione.

Hermione nodded. "They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most. That's what makes it so---"

"Terrifying, yes. Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands. Repeat after me. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!"

Draco crossed his arms and leaned by the wall. "This class is ridiculous." he muttered as he looked away, meeting Gemmalynn's narrowed green eyes, and quickly stood straight.

"Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing." Lupin explained and looked at Neville. "Neville, come up here, will you?"

Neville eyed the rattling wardrobe as he stepped forward queasily.

"What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?" Lupin asked.

"Profter Snafpt."

"Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry."

"Professor Snape."

Everyone laughed wholeheartedly as Lupin nodded thoughtfully.

"Hmmm, yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yes, but I don't want the Boggart to turn into her either."

"It won't. But, I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?"

Neville closed his eyes. "She carries a red handbag."

"That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you to do."

Gemmalynn saw Lupin leaned closer to Neville to whisper something to him as Neville's eyes widen in shock.

"You can do this, Neville."

Neville nodded nervously and took a deep breath.

"Right then. Wand at the ready. One. Two. Three!"

Sparks jet from Lupin's wand and it hit the doorknob as the wardrobe burst open. Instantly, the Boggart Snape appeared, eyes flashing hideously as he stalked towards Neville, who backed away in fright.

"Think, Neville. Think!"

"Riddikulus!"

Boggart Snape stumbled in a flash of light and reappeared in a long, lace-trimmed dress, towering moth-eaten hat, and crimson handbag. Instantly, the class roared in laughter, except for Draco and the Slytherins. Neville blinked, amazed, then slowly grinned happily. Lupin dropped the needle on an old gramaphone. As a scratchy rhumba fills the room, he pointed to Ron.