Chapter 25

School was hell, but Maddie made it exciting. She was always bubbly, and actually liked to do homework. Her favorite "Fandoms" were Warrior Cats and Gravity Falls and Naruto, all of which she cosplayed. Maddie constantly quietly blabbered in class, whether it was to herself or to me, yet all the teachers loved her (except Mrs. Smith, who only slightly liked her).
She'd occasionally burst out with statements like, "Oh my StarClan, this work sheet is so fun!" or "Today is fantastic!"; Maddie was a total optimist.

Mrs. Smith got on your nerves a little, although you thought that she took care of the misbehavers well. She gave people fair enough grades and pushed us to do more.

Mrs. Shaw, your creative writing teacher, was a drama-loving theater queen. Everyday she wore a new outfit and never wore the same shoes or earrings twice. Mrs. Shaw loves her students more than anything and would often stop class and tell stories about her haunted house where she would find dimes.

Lunch was noisy, loud, and crowded. The cafeteria was big and had many tables, but you were suffocating. The food was so-so but there were enough choices everyday to satisfy any food craving you might encounter.

Calculus was damn confusing. The course itself was depressing, but Ms. Daley was wonderful. She was in her early twenties, fresh out of college, so she could easily relate to her students. She made the class enjoyable- as enjoyable as it could get, anyway.

Reading with Mrs. Shaw was even more fun than creative writing. She used her theater voice and tried to "become the character" whenever she read dialogue. Her favorite thing to do was make her students popcorn read. Popcorn reading was where the teacher would call on a student, and then that student would read one to two paragraphs. The first student would pick a new student to read, and then that second student would read one or two paragraphs, and so on. Thank StarClan (god Maddie's sure leaving an imprint) that you didn't get called on.

Art was much better here than at your old school. Mr. Hegeman treated his students with more ease than old Mrs. Hun did, so that was good. You were bound to get an A+; Mr. Hegeman expected no more than an average student's "attempt" at art, but just wanted it to tell a story. Easy enough.

STAR was basically study hall and more time with Ms. Daley, which was nice. You thought for sure that she was going to be your favorite teacher. She laughed at sarcastic jokes, helped every student individually in any way she could, and could keep the class under control, but still let them have a little fun.

How did you know all of this?

Maddie of course.

At the end of the day, you took your book bag and quietly set towards your locker, wishing Ms. Daley a good evening before you left. The halls cleared out quickly, and a few kids stayed for clubs. Maddie was talking busily with a tall boy that had spiky dirty blond hair swept up to the right. She was smiling ecstatically then quickly gave him a hug. You recognized him as the nerd from calculus; Maddie's boyfriend, Joe.

"Bye, (Y/N)!" Maddie waved goodbye.

You unlocked your locker. 28-10-16. You opened the door, stuffed your homework into your backpack, and fled towards the exit doors.

Your limousine was waiting where you had gotten dropped off. There weren't many kids, and hopefully none of them recognized you. You dumped your backpack into the far seat and sat down in the close one.

"How was school?" The driver asked.

You shrugged.

The driver adjusted his rearview mirror. "Sorry, I didn't introduce myself this morning. My name's Jairo Hernandez."

You smiled a bit. The nice man had eased the tension. "Hello, Mr. Jairo Hernandez. You can call me (Y/N)."

--

Tuesday was the same as Monday, except you had Mr. Wangerin for social studies and Mrs. Bolender for gym.

You were done with school by the end of the day.

Mr. Jairo Hernandez dropped you off and picked you up in the same spot.

Maddie was as bubbly as yesterday.

Your teachers acted the same.

The food was worse.

Your day didn't feel any different.

The day dragged on and on and on and on, just as it did yesterday.

You had a feeling that the rest of the year was going to be exactly the same.

Poor (Y/N).

All alone.

At school.

Without a Dave.