Chapter 15

Still be prepared. Just in case. But the feels in this one aren't as intense.

I just wanted to say, that I love all of you and thank you so much for the wonderful comments! If you ever feel like you need more Dave let me know! I love you guys and you all make me very happy!
Even those of you who don't vote- you know who you are. 😆

PLEASE DON'T NAIL ME IF THIS NEXT PART ISN'T CORRECT. I'M ONLY 12- almost 13- SO I'M NOT QUITE SURE WHAT THE CORRECT LEGALITY IS, BUT I DID DO SOME RESEARCH!

Kanaya Maryam let out a deep breath as she regestered your story. She obviously didn't agree with your actions and told you that you needed to take responsibility, but the same motherly affection that had scolded your actions also wanted to care for you and take you in.

"Of course, you can stay." Kanaya gave you and Dave a hard look. "But as long as (Y/N) is staying here, I don't want any late night sleepovers at my house."

Your face was as red as Dave's crimson eyes. You covered your cheeks with your hands. "Kanaya," you whined. "That's just... I'm 16 years old! I'm not going to.... ugh!"

"(Y/N), when's your birthday?" Kanaya asked thoughtfully, as if throwing together a few scattered thoughts in her mind.

"May 29... In two weeks actually," you said, actually quite surprised that you hadn't even thought about it recently. Though, it's not like anyone ever got you gifts or a cake, anyway.

"I believe that a seventeen year old can live by themselves without a parent's consent... as long as approved by the court..." Kanaya looked up from her black and jade nails.

"So, all (Y/N) has to do is keep her distance from social services until her birthday?" Dave gave your hand a small squeeze, and at that moment a small burst of hope ignited in your chest.

Kanaya nodded solemnly. "It'll be rough in court, though, because she'll have avoided social services."

You spoke up, your voice soft and innocent with a sly smirk on your face. "But, all I was doing was visiting a friend for a few weeks and not telling anyone."

"But," Kanaya gave you another pointed look. "You also avoided them for 3 years. That's a good deal of time, and it won't be looked over too quickly."

Your smirk disappeared and was replaced with a small frown as you leant your head on Dave's shoulder. His platinum head rested on yours. "I love you," he whispered softly, his lips pressing against your hair.

You relaxed and sat there, unmoving. "I love you, too," you breathed.

Kanaya cleared her throat. "Would you like to stay for dinner, Mr. Strider? I'll invite Rose, too, then."

"Absolutely," he grinned.

---•---

As it turns out, Kanaya makes wonderful apple pie- oh, and great steak, too. Both were beautifully seasoned, the apple pie with cinnamon and brown sugar, and the steak with <whatever goes on steak>. {Heheh I really have no idea}

"So, (Y/N), when is this birthday party of yours?" Rose asked, delicately placing a piece of amazingly delicious steak in her mouth.

You flinched, dropping your fork and knife on the plate which created a startling clang. You blinked back the tears.

"I haven't really thought about my birthday all that much. Actually, not at all since... Since the accident." You swallowed and stood up. "Excuse me for a moment."

You exited the dining room, and walked silently across the hall. You slipped into the bathroom. The door locked with a click. You sat down on the floor and pulled your knees to your chest, trying to steady your breathing.

Birthday.
17.
Parents.
Accident.
Police.
Social Services.
Detention.
Run.
Dave.
School.
Cut.
Never again.
Apples.

Scattered thoughts racked your mind as your breathing became shallow, ragged gasps. Your body was shaking and your hands were running through your (h/l) (h/c) hair. The tears you had tried so hard to conceal came flooding out. Your sobs were silent; the only sound you heard was your breathing and a knock on the door.

"(Y/N), are you okay?" It was Kanaya.

You tried to respond yes, but it came out it as a muffled cry. You covered your mouth with your hand.

Then it was Dave. "(Y/N)! (Y/N), let me in."

You tried to reach for the door handle and a big sob escaped your mouth. You pulled back and wrapped your arms around your knees. At this point, all you wanted was to stop crying and try to steady your breathing.

"(Y/N), please..."

There were some muffled whispers on the other side of the door and finally another loud knock. "(Y/N), I'm coming in!"

Someome threw their body against the door, but it didn't budge. Again, someone hit the door, and this time it flew open, the doorknob hitting the wall, probably leaving a dent.

Dave stood in the doorway, rubbing his poor shoulder. He saw you, and what a mess you were, and immediately ran over to you, throwing himself on the floor. Dave completely forgot about his shoulder as he threw one arm around your waist and brushed the hair out of your face with the other.

Your breathing got worse when he asked the 'Are you okay?' question. Your only response was a muffled sob in his shoulder.

Yay! That's probably not the best place to end, but oh well. Hope you enjoyed!