33. Let's Be Fictional Together

If you ask the Doctor what the best thing in the universe was, he'd simply reply with a few words, words that meant nothing to others but the world to him; being with Clara Oswald.

Of course, he could never tell her how he truly felt. Heaven forbid he ever did, for he knew it would only end in absolute tragedy. Rose, River ... He did not want to repeat history. And the Doctor knew, as if by default ... It would happen one day. Clara was a flame that burned brighter than any other, but it would be only too soon that her flame would flicker and die, leaving only smokey remnants to hint at her once former prosperity. He loved Clara, he would burn for her. But to ask her to do the same? He couldn't. He was already selfish enough. So, to put it simply, no. He did not plan on ever letting his feelings be known, not to anyone. His love would remain unknown and unrequited.

But there they were, both standing in a bright field on Earth, with crisp, cool grass and thriving bushes and trees. Clara was spinning barefoot on the grass, her beautiful brown hair and pale yellow skater dress twirling with her. It was perfection, in the Doctor's opinion. Just plain perfection that could never be changed, or modified, or anything else. At that moment, the Doctor could refer to Clara as 'happiness in human form'.

"Doctor?" Clara called out, laughing hysterically as she spun faster. "Come on!" She held out her pale hands in front of her for him to grab. How could he miss an opportunity such as this one?

His hands found hers and she giggled even more, spinning together around and around until both fell to a crumpled, laughing heap on the floor. Clara was laying on top of him, her leg caught tangled with his and one of her arms were being crushed by his head. The Doctor, on the other hand, could feel Clara's other hand pushing into his chest as she tried to lift herself, whilst her leg knees him in his - knackers.

"Bitch," Clara laughed.

The Doctor raised an eyebrow. "Jerk."

Clara collapsed on her back beside him, flattening the lush grass below them. "Fan of supernatural, I'm guessing?"

"Fan? I've bloody met the Winchester's before ... Lovely blokes. They were only young at the time - Dean is a lot more attractive in person. And Sam - he's taller." The Doctor clarified.

"But, they're fictional characters ..." Clara sounded very confused.

"Well, to you and me, they are. Portrayed by Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki. But in their world, they're real people who hunt real demons."

"So, does that mean we're fictional characters to someone else in their world?"

The Doctor fixed his crooked bow tie (the result of the fall) and turned his head, grinning. "We're played by Jenna Coleman and Matt Smith. Jenna-Louise, to be exact. In a parallel world."

"Jenna? I like it ... Not so certain on Matt, though ..."

They both laughed in unison for a few seconds, before the noise died down.  They were both lying on their sides, staring at each other intently. Clara's smile faded as a soft, glowing feeling pooled in her stomach and warned her insides. The Doctor was perfect. Of course, at first it was only the odd 'He's gorgeous, I'd shag him' thought, but now? She saw his beauty, not only on the outside, but on the inside. That sadness in his eyes ... How could such a sadness be so beautiful? How could someone who tried so hard and saved billions, think of himself as nothing more than a monster? How could someone that she loved so much, hate himself so badly?

At that moment, Clara made a vow. If he didn't love himself, she would. She would love him to her last breath.

"I must admit," Clara smiled. "Jensen ... Or Dean, whatever ... Is very attractive." Her lips moved slightly closer to his, she was testing the waters.

"You think?" The Doctor raised an eyebrow, a smile tugging at one corner of his mouth.

Clara smirked back the same way, one corner raised. "Yeah. But you know what?"

"What, Oswald?"

"You're better ..." She kissed him softly, unexpectedly, capturing his lips with hers. He was slightly shocked, but all the same, he kissed back, gently cupping her face and stroking her cheek gently as he opened his mouth. She tugged at his lower lip with her teeth and he pulled her onto his lap so she straddled him. He sat up so their chests touched and wrapped his arms around her waist.

Clara whimpered softly into his mouth, hands at the back of his neck. She needed to breathe, but his mouth felt so much better. Reluctantly, she pulled away to breathe and the Doctor trailed his kisses down to her jawline, nipping gently before he pressed his warm kisses to her neck.

"Clara ..." He mumbled against her skin as she gasped quietly. "I've found you and I never want to let you go, but do you want this? Me?"

Without hesitation, she nodded, and kissed him again. "Let's be fictional together . . . Matt."

(An update! Woo! 💜

Just wanted to say thank you so much to all the people that vote, comment and share this book! Without you guys, this fanfiction wouldn't exist.

Please, if you want more one shots, perhaps lengthier ones, please vote! It gives me motivation to get on with this 😂

If you enjoy these one shots, please read my other fanfictions! I'm in the process of writing chapter 10 for If These Wings Could Fly, and it would mean so much to me if you read it. Here's a brief description for those of you that haven't read it:

"The Doctor left Clara one Wednesday, moving forward in time to the next Wednesday. But when he opens the doors, he realises he may be a bit too late..."

Thank you again, guys, and please don't forget to vote! Ciao!

- A 💜🌌)