17. Sacrifice

(I am so sorry for not updating in a while! My wattpad sorta went funny, and it wouldn't let me publish chapters on any of my stories! :( But I'm back, and ready to break all of your hearts with this chapter.)

-Please listen to Time by Hans Zimmer if you want this story to have an affect on your feelings-

If you had a choice - one choice - to either save the world but sacrifice yourself, or leave and let humanity perish, what would your descision be? Even worse, would you let your loved one sacrifice themselves?

The Doctor had took Clara to a space station on the moon in the year 78690 AD. It was so beautiful, being able to look down on the rest of humanity, and how it had evolved so greatly. You could see the huge skyscrapers from the moon, the spaceships carrying humans to the stars, the specatular stars that provided a huge light show for the Earth. But there was one thing wrong... A meteor that threatened to cut humanity's reign short.

There was only one way to save Earth. The Doctor would have to take himself with the TARDIS to the meteor, send the TARDIS back to collect Clara and send her home...and he would have to blow up the meteor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Doctor held Clara gently in a metal hallway on the space station. He rocked his crying damsel back and forth in his arms slowly, kissing her sweet smelling hair and fighting tears himself. "Clara-" the Doctor cupped his companions face gently. "I have to do this. Humanity isn't ready. They still must continue to exist, they have so much left to do-"

"But the humans. They're across the galaxy..." Clara sobbed.

"Not all of them. Some are still there. Earth isn't supposed to die now. It would create a paradox."

Clara wiped her eyes gently with the back of her sleeve. "How? What was supposed to happen in the future?"

He let go of Clara. "One of my previous incarnations took a former companion of mine to the year 5.5/apple/26, 5 billion years into her future. We watched the Earth die. If Earth dies here, none of that would've happened. We would've never met Cassandra, and I would've never fallen in lo-" He paused, remembering Rose and that day when he'd fallen in love with her. "Don't you see, Clara? I have to die here, in my future, otherwise a huge chunk of my past will have never happened. The complications of time travel..." He sighed, leaning over a railing in the space station and placing his head in his hands.

Clara walked over to him, placing her small hand on his shoulder. "But what about Trenzalore?"

The Doctor lifted his head. She did have a point. "It doesn't matter, right now, Clara. Now, wait here, while I discuss my plans with the Captain of this space station-" Clara gently pressed her lips to his before burying her head into his shoulder.

"I love you, Doctor." She gently sobbed into the crook of his neck.

"Oh, my Clara. My impossible girl." He cried back, stroking her hair gently. He pushed her shoulders away slightly. "I have to go."

He rushed off to the Captain's head quarters. Clara thought about what he had said.

'

Oh, my Clara. My impossible girl.'

Clara realised.

She had to save him. She was born to save the Doctor.

Grabbing the bomb and the detonator and rushing towards the TARDIS, she opened the doors and close them tightly shut.

"Come on, old girl. Take me to the meteor." She whispered through her tears. The TARDIS hummed. "Please. He will die if you don't take me in his place. Don't do this for me, do this for him." . In just a few short seconds she heard the vworp vworp noise and she knew the TARDIS was on her side.

The Doctor emerged from the room, wiping his cheeks. He would die, and Clara would be safe. That was all that mattered. He walked into the hallway where he was minutes before with Clara and heard the TARDIS dematerializing. Clara-

"No, no, NO!" He shouted, rushing over to where the TARDIS was minutes before. He dropped to his knees and started to sob. She was gone. He sat for a while before he heard the radio buzz.

"Doctor? Doctor, are you there?" He heard Clara ask.

He fished hurriedly through his pocket and found the small machine. "Clara? Clara! Get back here!"

"I'm sorry, Doctor. I had to do this."

"No, no. I'm the one that has to do this! Clara, please, come back."

"Doctor. I have to save you. I was born to save you. I'm the impossible girl. Don't worry, you'll find one of my echos. You can show her the stars. Thank you, Doctor. Now go. Run you clever boy, and remember-"

He sobbed before he heard the line go dead and the TARDIS return. He scrambled up and opened the doors to find nothing but an empty console room. "She's still up there..." He gasped. "I have to go get her-" The Doctor marched quickly over to the console, lifting levers and pushing buttons before he heard it. The explosion. It was too late. Clara was dead.

Everyone dies. Everyone sacrifices themselves for him. Jabe, Lynda, Mrs Moore, Chan Tho, Astrid, Jenny, River, the Hostess, Harriet Jones, Idris, the Ponds, and now Clara. Everyone he touches seems to die. He hated himself more than any enemy he'd ever had. He hated himself more than anyone else hated him, more than the Daleks hated him, more than the Cybermen. He was a monster.

When Clara had blew up the meteor, it had created a cloud of dust that resembled a star. The Doctor thought it was only right to make it a significant reminder of Clara, so it was called Clara's star. Clara's star was a symbol of courage, hope, bravery and honour for humanity. But it was also a symbol of beauty and love.

And that's exactly what Clara was.

(My stories are so crappy, I apologise for any mistakes and/or awful writing.)