26. Lullaby [2]

[ hey! don't forget to check out my latest whouffle fanfic, on my profile, called if these wings could fly! i work really on it and i'd really appreciate your feedback! ]

"Doctor?" Clara asked her husband as she walked into her daughters room. "Have you seen Harry anywhere?" The Doctor was sat on a rocking chair holding his small daughter, Lily, in his hands, rocking back and forth with her laying against his chest.
"Harry?" He repeated. "He told me he was going to find you?"
Clara sighed. "I can't find him anywhere. And Ella's gone off, too. Pretty soon Lily'll be able to waddle about."
The Doctor smiled. "She's been practising balancing on her own. Fell over a few times, but she just kept on climbing right back up - and falling again...though, it's a bit much to expect for a 7 month old...but she is determined."
"Well, she is your daughter." Clara laughed, sitting down crossed-legged on the floor in front of them. "Bless her." She gently traced her finger along Lily's tiny feet, the fabric of her socks blockading Clara from feeling her soft skin.
The Doctor sighed blissfully, hand gently stroking the dark, short curls of the babies head. "Remember when Ella was this little?"
Clara smiled slightly, staring at nothing as she thought back. "Yeah." Her thoughts drifted to the lullaby, the sweet lullaby that he sang. "You sang her to sleep."
"I did." He replied, just as Lily began to whimper. "Someone's awake."
The Doctor gently lifted the 7 month old baby off his chest, holding her slightly in the air as she rubbed her eyes sleepily. "Morning, sleepy-head." He laughed gently. "2 hours I've been sitting on this chair with you. Two hours!" His voice was high-pitched and silly.
"Here, I'll feed her and you can go find Harry and Ella." Clara sighed at her stupid husband.
He gently placed the baby in Clara's lap, who was still cross-legged on the floor. "Sure. I mean, it won't be that hard to find a four year old and a two year old." He pressed a kiss to both their foreheads before leaving.
"He has no idea, does he, Lils?" Clara said to her baby. "Daddy's thinks he's so impressive, doesn't he?"
The baby's bright green eyes sparkled at Clara as she babbled an indistinct string of words.
"Yeah, I s'pose you're right..." Clara replied. "He is a genius. And he's brave. And handsome. And heroic. But don't tell him I said that, will you, baby?"
Lily gave her a look which Clara read as "Maybe I will."
"Oh, my little baby girl." Clara cooed. "You are so beautiful. Beyond beautiful, just like your older brother and sister." She kissed the babies feet, making her smile. "You'll always be my baby girl, no matter how old you get. Even when you have children of your own, grandchildren even!" Clara stroked her daughters soft face with the back of her hand. "My little, sweet girl. Never change."