14. Notes

John wiped the sweat of his brow with the sleeve of his jacket. His breathing was ragged and his heart was pounding faster than it ever was before, and he felt like if he didn't stop walking and sit down he would fall over from dizziness. Before long, he reached the girl.

This was it.

Now or Never.

Clara was busy chatting to Nina about the boy she liked to notice anything around her. Of course, it was only Nina that knew who she liked. If anyone else found out, everyone would laugh. No one could no that she had a huge crush on John Smith. No one.

John froze behind her. He couldn't do it. No, of course he could. He was being a chicken. He quickly tapped her shoulder and she turned around, flipping her hair as she did.

Clara smiled. "Hi John! What's up?" She sounded a bit too keen.

"I -uh, well I-" John mumbled, unable to say the right words. He just thrust the crumpled piece of paper that was in his hand into hers and took off quickly.

Clara was quite suprised. She was also disappointed, thinking that he didn't like her. She sighed, opening the creased note to read it.

Clara.

I really, really like you. I think you're very, very pretty. You're super funny, too. I love how shiny your hair is, and how sparkly your eyes are. I love how cute your nose is, and how great your personality is. Basically, everything about you. I was just wondering if you'd maybe want to go to the cinema with me on Friday?

Tick a box

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

Clara smiled, lending a pen from Nina and ticking a box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He done it. He'd really fucked up. He shouldn't have gave her the note. He was stupid. The only friendship he'd had, and he'd fucked up. He kicked his foot against the wall. He was hiding in the store room, the cramped and dark room full of mops and buckets. He didn't want to leave there. He was too afraid to face the embarassment. What was he thinking? Why would a beautiful, popular girl like Clara ever like a nerd like him? It always worked in movies... but this wasn't a movie.

He was about to leave when he heard someone knock on the door.

"John? It's me, Clara. Are you in here?"

"Go away." John grumbled.

"What's wrong? I have this note that you gave me."

"Leave me alone, Clara. I'll be here, wallowing in self-pity if you need me."

"John, open the damn door before I knock it down myself and drag you out by your ear." Clara stated firmly in a threatening tone.

John opened the door and offered for her to come inside. She stepped in and shut the door. It was completely dark, but he could still see the outline of her features.

"What is it?" He whispered.

Clara handed him the scrunched up bit of paper. "Thats for you, chin."

"I can't read the answer, it's too dark in here." He replied.

"Well, if you can't read it, I'll show you." She grabbed his face and smashed their mouths together, her hands snaking into his hair whislt his flailed a bit before resting around her waist.

"So I take that as a yes?" John asked breathlessly.

"You betcha, Romeo."