23. Remember Me

Clara had been captured.

It was all his fault. He took her to Ghtari, a planet which he had no idea how dangerous was, and then broke the law. He hadn't meant to. How was he supposed to know that it was illegal to eat meat on that planet? It was not intended to offend anyone, it was just a ham and cheese sandwich that Clara had eaten during their picnic. There were lovely, lush fields of the most vibrant green grass that smelt like vanilla and honey. It was perfect for a picnic, quiet, peaceful, tranquil...

Only they were arrested as soon as Clara had taken the first bite of the offending food item.

He rushed as fast as his legs would carry him to the Supreme Court where the Ghtarians were holding Clara. His only plan was to some how find a way inside and find her.

The first part of the plan was decided and dealt with. The Doctor simply whipped out his psychic paper and hastily made his way inside the building. He approached the desk front desk, showing his psychic paper to the murky green coloured alien with a spike on its head and completely black, insect eyes. It bowed its head almost immediately. "Greetings, Master of the Sunlake." It's voice resembled a computers voice.

"I need to find Clara Oswald." He asked, but the alien had no idea who he was talking about.

"The human girl?" The Doctor explained.  "The one that was eating meat? Brunette, about..." He put his hand to his shoulder, "...that tall. Feisty."

"She is being held in captivity until ready for incineration."

The Doctor felt a lump in his throat. "What do you mean, incineration? All she did was eat a bit of ham and cheese sandwich!"

"Our laws on the consumption of meat are very strict."

"Is there any way we can stop it? Delay it for the time being?" He was beginning to panic. He wouldn't lose this companion. Not this one.

"The incineration is inevitable. Clara Oswald shall be killed." It stated blankly in its robot voice.

"Where is she? Show me!"

"I'm afraid I can't let that-"

"SHOW ME!" He yelled, the fury of the last Time-Lord bubbling over the surface. The Ghtarian gestured towards a black door.

The Doctor dashed to the place that the alien had pointed to. After several flights of stairs, he had reached a door labelled 'Prisoner Cell'. Opening it rather quickly, almost violently, he found Clara tied to a chair by sharp metal strips, with a piece of cloth in her mouth to act as a gag, two Ghtarian guards either side of her.

"Doctor!" She muffled, tears streaming down her face.

"Unauthorised life form in cell. Your death will be inevitable-" The guards pointed their guns at the Doctor and he raised his arms in surrender.

"Wait! I've come here to negotiate."

The two Ghtarians looked at each other. "Negotiate? What would you be willing to do to suffice the crimes committed? What would you do to save the woman you love?"

He stared at Clara, who shook her head as if to say 'don't do it'. His love for her was overwhelming.

"Anything."

Clara sobbed harder. She did not want him to sacrifice himself or anything else.

"Anything?" The tallest of the guards repeated.

"Yes. Take me, instead. Kill me instead. Let Clara go. My ship will take her home. Please-" The Doctor begged.

"No." The smaller guard replied. "The human female is to be incinerated. No bargains."