4. If I had you

Sitting on her cosy bed, Clara dabbed her moist eyes with a tissue. She cried a river, with ragged currents flowing down her cheeks onto the wilted collar of her shirt. It felt as if she had no more tears left to cry, but she could not stop.

Danny Pink, her long-term boyfriend whom she loved deeply, had cheated on her and made a fool out of her.

And she couldn't deal with it.

She began considering options. She could live, knowing that people would snigger and sneer because of what he had done (for the sake of Clara's dignity, I won't mention what humiliating action he had committed). She could kill herself and save the pain. Or she could call the Doctor.

John Smith, preferably known by his friends as 'the Doctor' was her greatest friend. She told him everything and anything, whether it was about her step-mother Audrey that she loathed entirely, or about the teacher she'd had in sixth form that kept trying to look up her skirt. He was a great listener, and right now she needed nothing more than that. Picking up her phone, she tapped out his number and held it to her ear.

'Hello? Who's this?'  She heard him say before hearing a clattering of pans and a quiet 'oh shit'  from the other end of the line.

'John, it's me, Clara.' she croaked, resisting the urge to cry yet again.

'What's wrong? What's happened? Is it Audrey, has she started complaining again?'  She could hear the concern in his voice.

'No, no. It's not that. It's Danny.' she struggled to say his name without crying. John didn't even have to be told that they had broken up, he just knew.

'Stay where you are. I'll be around in five.'  And with that, he hung up the phone.

Ten minutes later, Clara heard knocking on the door. She was curled up in a ball under the covers, tired from crying. She didn't want to get up. She didn't have to, because John was already opening the window and climbing into her bedroom holding flowers and a box of pizza. He took one look at Clara and rushed over to her, crouching down so his face was level with hers as he placed down the items and stroked her head.

"Oh, Clara." He softly whispered, pulling the covers away and lifting her into his arms. He carried her over to the sofa that sat beside her wardrobe, sitting himself down and lying her in his lap.

"He left me...for Nina..." she sobbed quietly into the crook of his neck as he kissed her temple and stroked her brown locks.

"I know, I know. I'm here for you." He soothed gently, rocking her back and forth. "He doesn't deserve you, Clara. I swear, if I see that bastard ever again, they'll be scraping him off the road."

Clara giggled, but only slightly. He could always make her happy.

"How about we make some cakes in a moment?" He asked enthusiastically.

"Later. M'sleeping."

 She closed her eyes and tried to sleep as the Doctor hummed a tune aloud.

"Oh, Clara, if only I had a girl like you. I'd kill anyone that broke your heart, I'd fight any man that dared to insult you." He studied her face carefully, remembering every single eyelash, freckle and contour of her face.

"I'd love you more than anything, I'd treat you like the queen you deserve to be treated as. You'd never be alone, you'd never be afraid. I'd cradle you at night when you had bad dreams, I'd wipe your tears when you were upset, I'd make love to you like it was our last day alive. Sweet Clara." He stroked her cheek with his thumb, thinking she was asleep.

"Would you really?" she asked quietly, startling him as she smiled up at him.

"I- you weren't supposed to here that!" He stuttered as his cheeks turned crimson. Clara pressed a soft kiss to his lips, moulding his face with her own as her hands crept up to tangle themselves in his hair and his going to cup her face.

"I love you." He uttered when their faces finally parted.

"I love you more." She replied, stroking his face.

"I love you most." He whispered in her ear, kissing the tip of her nose.