Chapter Eight: The Nameday.

Eric had just turned 13. The child had become a teenager now.

"C'mon Eric it's your nameday. Are you planning on sleeping the whole day? Plus you are already late for your training" shouted Mary as she pushed Eric from the bed.

"Go away! I hate you!" said Eric in a sarcastic tone.

"I know you do!" said Mary with a small laugh.

Both of them went on to the field near the castle and a man was standing and waiting for Eric to show up.

He was the person responsible for Eric's training. He was his bodyguard cum sparring partner cum teacher.

They had built up quite a bond between each other which surpasses a student- teacher relationship. He was like an elder brother that Eric never had. He was Edgar Stormwood, a well-known name across the seven seas.

Before he became the mentor of Eric Bloodaxe, he was a criminal. He was a rogue Viking who lost his way growing up. He played pivotal roles in some of the most controversial incidents ever to occur at the time including the assassination of the Egyptian overlord Kaman Al Fizur III.

He worked as a spy for the inter-tribal defense Unit to hunt down many rogue warriors, after he was put in prison and reformed.

Harald Bloodaxe was the person who set him straight and set him straight because he believed that Storm's talents and set of unique skills might come be of use in the future.

"You are late again!" said Storm while poking Eric in the gut which made him laugh. "Come on! Let's start where we stopped yesterday. Later I'm gonna teach you something special today because it's your birthday."

"Oh really!" said Eric. "What is it? Oh tell me quick!"

"Don't rush Eric. Today I am going to teach you how to handle a sword properly. Here, take your sword." Storm threw Eric his sword, the Blade of Asmorath.

It was the first time he actually handled the blade. The sword was a little heavy for the teenager but he managed to hold it up like a warrior who was ready to go to war.

As it was as special day for Eric, the whole place was decorated under the orders of Queen Vivian. Eric was not much excited for his own nameday. As a matter of fact, Mary was the one who was excited for him. Eric had always been a silent and a reserved character and he did not believe in celebrations and festivals and all activities related to entertainment.

Heavy rains were pouring on Asmorath this whole week but today seemed to be sunny and it was in perfect condition to celebrate something as cheerful as Eric's first teen nameday.

As the day went by, the time had come for the celebrations to begin. The big round tables were filled with rich food and wine. All the members of all important families in Asmorath had gathered for this event. Fireworks, jugglers and jokers kept entertaining the crowd for some time.

Eric, the heir to the Asmorath throne came in to join the celebrations in his finest robes which had been made by the finest tailors in Asmorath. Eric was accompanied by Storm. He, as always was looking dapper in his black robes which left the females in the occasion speechless.

After the dramatic entrance, Eric was enjoying himself with the fine food and wine to notice something through the crowd.

It was a girl. He could not get a clear image of this mystery-girl who was wearing a beautiful red gown. She came closer and closer. Eric finally got a chance to see her clearly. It was Mary! Eric was blown away.

He had no idea that she could be this beautiful. Eric stood up from his seat and leapt towards Mary to take her hand before anyone else did.