Chapter 64: Horrible Shock

As Katie and Tom came towards the front door they stopped outside and Katie turned to him, "just to warn you my aunt is very...how do you put it...eccentric when she meets new people."
"Oh it's fine." Tom said.
Katie smiled as the door swung open and there stood Layla with Jayden by her side, "you must be Tom, it's very lovely to meet you honey."
Tom smiled sweetly at her, "you two mrs..erm.."
"Oh do call me Layla darling I hate being called my Mrs makes me sound like a teacher." Layla chuckled.
"Nice to meet you Layla." Tom smiled.
"Oh well don't stand in the cold you two come on." She said ushering them both in the house.
"Something smells nice." Tom commented.
"Our homemade lasagne, I do hope you like it." Layla said as they walked into the living room.
"It's Tom's favourite dish." Katie said glancing at Tom.
Tom nodded in agreement and they both sat on the couch while all the kids rushed up to Tom excitedly asking questions.
"Do you play football?" Jayden asks as he fiddles with his toy sword.
"Yeah I do." Tom replied with a grin.
"Are you any good?" Jayden asked.
"He's amazing, he's the reason we win trophy's for our school." Katie butted in.
"I bet I'm better than you." Jayden teases.
"Oh we'll have to see about that." Tom chuckles.
Layla gets the food out on the dining table and calls everyone in, Jayden desperately wants to sit next to Tom but obviously Katie got there first.
"Katie, I want to sit next to Tom." Jayden moaned.
"It doesn't matter Jayden just sit opposite him, and then you can talk to him better." Katie says sitting down on the chair.
Jayden sighs but obeys and sits opposite Tom.
As everyone tucks into their dinner Layla raises her head and looks directly at Tom, "is it alright sweetheart?"
"It's perfect thank you." Tom said earning a sweet smile from Katie.
"So who do you hang around with at school is it just you two or is it s big group of people?" Layla asked cutting up part of the lasagne.
"Um, it's just really me, Katie and Quinn and at lunch we have a whole group of people sitting with us but they mostly hang around amongst themselves. We used to have a boy called Benny that hung around with us but now he's left to America to work at MIT so yeah." Tom summed up.
"MIT wow, your friend must be very smart." Layla replied popping some of the lasagne into her mouth.
"Yeah, really skilled." Tom said glancing at Katie.
After asking more questions to Tom about what he wants to do when he leaves school and what he likes doing everybody clears up and Tom puts his coat on ready to go home.
"I can ask my Aunty Layla to give you a lift." Katie offered.
"No it's alright I'll just take the bus." Tom said.
Katie nodded as they walked outside in the cold night, she puts her hands in her long woolly cardie, "god it's freezing."
"I know, I really don't want to go back to school tomorrow I can't be arsed." Tom groans.
"Same, well you don't want to miss your bus, I'll see you tomorrow yeah?" Katie says lifting her hands out of her pockets.
"Yeah." Tom says pulling her into a hug.
"You know, I don't care what dad says, I will never listen to his demands." Katie says into Tom's chest.
Tom doesn't say anything but nods a little, he pulls out of the hug giving her a small reassuring smile and walks out of the driveway disappearing into the night.

"Did you pack your school uniform Katie?" Layla asks from downstairs as Katie got up that morning to get ready for school.
"Yeah, but, I've left my school cardie at home." Katie shouts back.
"Ok sweetheart have you got anything else?" Layla asks coming up the stairs.
"Yeah, I've got my school jumper." Katie replies tying her tie round her shirts collar.
"That's probably better honey as we're in the middle of winter at the moment." Layla says as she sorts the bed out.
Suddenly all the kids come bursting into the room squealing in excitement.
"Look Katie! We've moved up to big school now!" Cady giggles showing off her blue uniform and mini blue tie.
"And look at my school bag! Did you know we moved up to big school after nursery?" Jayden asks swinging his school bag round.
Katie nodded sweetly crouching down to them, "you look really smart."
"I'm in year 3 now, I moved to year 3 last year after the summer holidays." Jasmine told Katie.
"What year are you in now Katie?" Jayden asks.
"I'm in year 12 now." Katie tells them.
"Katie, please can you do my hair I like it when you do it you don't brush as hard as mum and you can do the plaits better." Cady says .
"Oi, missys I do do your hair properly." Layla says pretending to be shocked.
"Katie laughs as she sits on the now newly made bed, "come on then Cady sit on my lap."
Cady giggles and sits herself on Katie's lap as Katie starts to carefully take the bobbles out of her pigtails, "what do you want hun?"
"Please can I have that plait that goes at the top of your head and then down?" Cady asks referring to the French braid.
Katie smiles, "course you can."
After everyone's ready Joe takes everyone to school dropping the kids off first as the primary school is nearer.
"Have a nice day kids." Joe calls from the window as they all get out of the car and walk into the school.
Joe starts the car again and he drives it towards Katie's school.
He takes small glances to Katie but watches the road at the same time so they don't crash, "I've heard what your dad did."
Katie looks out of the side window staring at all the playgrounds and houses passing by.
"your dads very demanding." Joe says.
Katie nods her head, "yeah."
"Jayden seems to have struck a liking to Tom." Joe chuckles.
Katie smiles, "yeah, yeah he has."
As Katie gets dropped of she gives a wave to her uncle Joe before he drives off. Tom creeps up behind her and puts his hands on her shoulders shouting her name loudly. Katie screams in shock and turns round to see Tom laughing, "Tom! That isn't funny."
Tom's still laughing and eventually makes her smile, he links her hand into hers and they start walking. Suddenly a familiar figure comes standing in front of them his face angry and annoyed.
Katie is shocked and nearly stumbles back on her feet but she manages to keep her balance, "d-dad?"
"Yes Katie it's me." He says bitterly.
"But...what are you doing here?" Katie asks.
"I'm a new teacher here, I'm your new maths teacher." He says.
"But you own the electronic store." Katie replied still shocked.
"Haven't you heard? Your mother quit her job due to lack of pay and she's taken over the electronic store, I realised there was a job needed here in your school, so here I am, that means I get to see you two whenever I want." He explains with an evil smile.
"Dad, I've told you once and I'll tell you again, you can't split me and Tom up!" Katie argues.
Richard ignores Katie and turns to Tom, "I thought I told you to tell my daughter that your not aloud to see her again."
"Mr Lord I'm sorry but you can't stop me." Tom says firmly.
Richards eyes widen in anger, "I gave you a strict instruction!"
"And I didn't listen." Tom snapped.
"I'm sorry dad, you can't stop us." Katie said as her and Tom walked away towards the entrance of the school.
Richard watched them as they went into the school. "Oh I will." He muttered.