Chapter 30: Birthday

"Katie?" Christine whispered opening her door.
Katie stirred turning on to her side.
Christine creeped up on her and shook her.
"What?" Katie groaned.
"Happy birthday." Christine said as Katie turned her head to her and checked the time on the alarm clock. 7:00 in the morning. Good she didn't sleep in for school.
Katie smiled propping her elbow up, "thanks mum."
"Everyone's waiting downstairs." Christine smiles walking out.
Katie throws the covers off her and grabs a bobble and ties her hair into a quick messy bun before running down the stairs towards the living room.
"Happy birthday." The family cheered.
Katie smiled looking at all the presents and banners saying 'Happy 17th birthday'
Ellie ran up to her giving her a little present, "I chose this myself Katie."
Katie sat on the sofa carefully tearing the wrapping paper off.
"Awe Ellie I love it thank you." Katie says lifting her little sister on to her lap and kissing her on the top of the head.
After 10 minutes Katie had made her way through all the presents, one from her big brother in London, one from her auntie and uncle and ones from other family members that lived quit far from Katie.
"Well Katie, your brother has offered that we can all come and stay in his house in London for Christmas with his girlfriend." Katie's dad says.
Katie looked up, "I'd love that."
"And plus Ellie has never been to London before whereas you and Kelly has been god knows how many times, and London is beautiful at Christmas anyway." Christine explains.
"Oh and by the way we're also going ice skating on the Christmas Eve and the day before that we're going to theatre to watch 'a Christmas carol' Katie." Kelly interrupts getting excited.
"Really?!" Katie asks beaming a massive grin.
Everybody nods.
"Grandad are you coming?" Katie asks her grandad.
"Oh you betcha." He says adding a wink.

After opening the presents and discussing Christmas to the family Katie decides to get ready for school. She straightens her hair and does a French braided headband until throwing her school uniform on.
"Katie?" Someone stops her as Katie was about to walk out of the front door.
Katie turns around to face her grandad who's cupping something in his hands.
"Yeah?" She asks sweetly walking towards him.
"I've got my own very special present to give you." He says as he held out his hand.
"What is it?" Katie asks.
"It's a locket, it was your grandmas and then her mums, then her mums. And so on it carries on in the family." He explains.
"So why didn't she give it to mum?"
"That I don't know, but she gave it to me when she died and she said, give this to someone who will look after it well, who will achieve amazing goals in life." He said.
"Why don't you give it to Kelly she's the oldest."
"I love all three of you, your my three special girls, but somehow Katie you've stood out to me the most. So I'm giving this to you." He said giving Katie the locket.
Katie smiled, "thank you grandad." Katie hugged him tightly.
Katie let go but her grandad still had hold of her, he touched her cheek smiling, "make me proud sweetheart."
Katie nodded.
"Now you go off to school I'm sure all your friends will be waiting with presents." Her grandad instructs.
Katie smiles and walks out of the door.

"Have you got Katie's present?" Tom asked Quinn.
"Yeah it's in my locker." Quinn replied.
"Good, because you know what Katie's like."
"Yeah, she's coming right now." Quinn said as he saw Katie walking down the corridor towards the two boys.
"Right, I'll see you in a bit mate. Good luck." Quinn says with a sarcastic wave walking off.
Tom quickly unlocked his locker and got ready to give Katie her presents.
"Hey!" Tom said cheerfully.
"Hey." Katie replied.
"Well I've got your presents." Tom said taking the bag out.
Katie leaned against the lockers twiddling the locket around her neck.
"Where did you get the locket from?" Tom asked.
"Oh my grandad gave it to me, it carries on in the family." Katie explained as she took the bag from Tom and looked inside it.
She digged in and unfolded the pink tissue paper to see the silver watch there.
"Tom, I love it." She commented as she opened the rest of the presents complimenting each one.
When Katie wasn't looking Tom quickly took the flowers out of his locker and his them behind his back.
"The watch must of been expensive." Katie said looking up to see Tom's hands behind his back.
Tom nodded.
"What have you got behind your back?" Katie asks.
Tom paused for a moment until displaying the flowers in front of Katie.
"Tom! They're lovely!" Katie beamed a smile taking the flowers.
Sneakily Clara watched from behind the lockers.
"I just thought I wanted to treat you on you birthday, properly." Tom said staring into her shining dark eyes.
Katie stared back into his brown eyes then leaned in.
'Oh oh...please not the mushy teenage stuff' Clara thought to herself.
Clara came round the lockers and pulled Katie's arm pulling Katie away from Tom.
"Clara." Tom hissed.
"Katie needs to see the presents I bought her!" Clara argued pushing Katie away.
"Oh thanks Clara." Katie said awkwardly.
As soon as Katie was walking down the corridor Clara smirked at her brother.
'That little bitch' Tom thought.
"There was absolutely no way I was going to let you two do mushy stuff here in front of all my friends." Clara said.
"Clara, me and Katie wouldn't care if we kissed in front of the whole bloody UK!" Tom snapped.
"Touchy, your speaking a load of crap, Katie is really shy." Clara pointed out.
"Well newsflash, Katie isn't shy anymore or awkward around me anymore so actually she wouldn't care." Tom yelled.
"Alright, jesus, your in a bad mood." Clara sighed.
"Well you did just crush a perfect moment there Clara."
"What? You kissing Katie? In a school?" Clara said disgustedly.
Tom nodded.
"Tom, a schools not very romantic, take her somewhere more romantic where no one can disturb your 'perfect moment' alright?" Clara suggested rolling her eyes.
Tom smirked, "fine I will."

Tom knew the perfect place...