Chapter 56: Broken

Rico watched as Jan put the phone down on the table slowly, tears trickling down her cheeks.
"Jan? What's happened? What's wrong?" Rico asked.
"My mum and brother...they've been in a car crash..." Jan said slowly.
"What?! Oh my god Janice..." Rico started as Jan broke down into tears.
Rico pulled her into a hug, "don't cry stay strong."
"What if they're d-d-dead and I have n-no f-family." Jan stuttered as she cried into his chest.
"They'll be fine Jan." Rico told her calmly.
"I-I need to go to the h-hospital." Janice choked up.
"I can ask my mum if she can drive you there." Rico offered getting his mobile out of his pocket. Jan nodded and sat on the sofa bringing her knees up to her chest and burying her face in them. After Rico finished the phone call with his mum he sighed, "mum will be here in 5."
Janice didn't say a word as she raised her head tears staining her face. Rico went over and grabbed Jan's guitar and started playing quietly till is mum arrived.

Janice ran into the room her mum was in and was taken aback as soon as she saw her, she put her two hands over her mouth as tears stung her eyes. Her mum was in a really bad condition there was blood stained clothes that were taken away in a trolley and blood all over the white sheets as well. Jan backed out of the room slamming the door behind her with her hands still covering her mouth.
"What's wrong?" Rico asked as he was sat on the waiting seats.
Jan shook her head violently as she broke down into tears, Rico hugged her tightly trying to calm her down as she was crying loudly. "Shhh." He cooed rubbing her back reassuringly.
"She's not going to make it, she's not going to make it." Jan kept repeating over and over again.
"Jan stop it! Your mum will make it, have faith." Rico whispered loudly.
Jan sniffed up, "ok, I'm going to go back in there."
Rico nodded, "good idea, you want me to come with you?"
Janice shook her head, "no it's alright you can go home now if you want."
"No way, I'm staying here with you for as long as it takes." Rico refused.
Jan weakly smiled wiping some tears away, "ok, you can wait there then."
Janice took a deep breath and walked back in her mums room.

At 10:30 pm Jan was still sat on the chair next to her mums bed her eyes starting to get heavy. A nurse came in and greeted her with a smile, "honey it's really late and a friend is waiting outside the room for you."
"Rico?" Jan asked.
"Yes he's asking for you." The nurse said.
Jan slowly got up from the chair and walked out of the room to see Rico sat on the chairs smiling, "what are you still doing here?"
"I'm staying here for as long as it takes remember." Rico reminded with a grin.
Jan smiled, "and why are you staying for as long as it takes?"
"Because I'm just waiting until you finally stop crying everyday needing me to calm you down." Rico chuckled. Jan playfully slapped him on the arm, "shut up!" She sat next to him on the sofa.
"Get some rest Jan, you'll need it." Rico said putting his arm around her pulling her close.
Jan smiled at him before resting her head on his shoulder and then finally drifting off into a deep sleep.

"RICO!" Jan screamed as she woke up realising he wasn't next to her on the chairs. Jan had a horrible nightmare and she was screaming the place down until Rico rushed up to her calming her down, "Jan calm down, it's fine I'm here."
Jan breathed in deeply clutching his arms tightly, "what time is it?"
"It's gone 10." Rico said.
Jan closed her eyes sighing leaning back on the chair, "sorry about that, I just had a really bad dream and I when I noticed you weren't next to me I panicked."
"It's ok Jan I'm not going anywhere." He said.
Jan smiled nodding her head, "I'm going to go in and see mum."
"Ok, I'll wait here." Rico told her.
Jan stood up and walked into her mums room and sat down next to her on the chair, "Jacobs doing fine mum, the doctors say he's making a really good recovery, you will soon I know it."
She looked over at the back of the room and her heart started racing, a familiar man was standing there with tears in his eyes and he was smiling. Jan wasn't scared as she knew who it was and she smiled back, "dad." Is all she said before he faded away into nothing. Suddenly a noise came from the monitors a noise that Janice never wanted to hear in her life. Flatline. She ran out and screamed for the doctors as several doctors rushed in the room telling Jan to wait outside. Rico immediately stood up putting his arm around her as she held her scrunched up tissue to her eyes clutching it tightly. 
She stared into Rico's eyes anxiously.
"She'll be ok." Rico reassured. Jan weakly smiled hugging into him.
After a good 15 minutes a doctor came out making Janice look at him hopefully but her weak hopeful smile soon faded when she saw the grave look on his face as he looked sympathetically at Jan.

"I'm sorry, we've lost her."