Chapter 10: The illness

Janice took a place next to Quinn in English the next day smiling flirtatiously.
"Hi Quinn." She smiled sweetly turning away to get her text book out.
"Hi." Quinn said quickly getting a mirror out if his bag and checking his hair.
Janice looked back at Quinn and giggled. "Quinn? What are you doing?"
Quinn looked up flushing red, he smiled awkwardly making a fake laugh. "Mirror inspection."
Quinn shoved the mirror back in his bag full of embarrassment while Janice sat there laughing.
"Quinn you can act normally around me you know, there's no need to be embarrassed." Janice said.
"Embarrassed? Why would I be embarrassed...I'm never embarrassed about anything because if I was that would be embarrassing." Quinn said awkwardly.
Janice raised an eyebrow.
"Hold on one second." Quinn said jumping of his chair and running towards Tom and Katie nearly tripping over his own feet but managing to cling on to the table to stop him from falling.
"What's wrong?" Katie asked a flushed and embarrassed Quinn.
"Can I just say it, you won't laugh at me will you?" Quinn asked laying one hand on his forehead slanting across the table.
"Course we won't, just spit it out." Katie ordered.
"I-I think I like Janice." Quinn managed to speak out.
Tom nearly choked on his water nearly spewing it up.
"Sorry?" Katie asked.
Tom gulped down his drink.
"Did I just hear that?" Tom said baffled.
"Please tell me that I'm going deaf!" Katie yelled.
"No." Quinn said.
"You like Janice." Katie repeated her eyes wide as saucepans.
"Yeah." Quinn admitted.
"Mate, do you need glasses? Look stay away from her she's bad news." Tom warned, let's face it he didn't want his best mate getting into trouble with the new girl.
"Look you two hardly even know her! She's really nice." Quinn argued.
Katie smirked.
"Yeah, but that could be one huge act, she would act all nice and then stab you in the back."
"But you two haven't even talked to her you don't know her so how would you know?" Quinn yelled.
A few curious nosy students looked at them with strange looks.
Quinn stomped off back to sit with Janice.
"Idiot." Tom muttered scornfully.
Suddenly Katie clutched her stomach groaning in pain.
"Are you alright?" Tom asked her worriedly.
"Yeah fine." Katie lied.
Tom studied her.
"Are you sure?"
Katie nodded at him briefly letting go of her stomach.
"Probably nothing." She said as the teacher came in ready to start the lesson.

The day dragged on a bit and it felt like it was never ending. During French Quinn insisted that he would work with Janice because he apparently 'works well with her' and Janice didn't seem to mind his constant attention towards her. At break he never stopped following her around and trying his best flirt with her even if it meant him missing a footy game with Tom and the rest of the boys.
It had now got on to science and everyone was currently doing biology, heaving and nearly puking over the fact that they were messing with a pigs heart.
Katie had ensured that she would keep herself right at the back to avoid watching or standing near the dead pig.
"Now, who wants to hold the pigs heart?" Mr Fisher said with an evil grin.
Everyone stood back leaving Quinn exposed.
Mr Fisher revealed a pleased look on his face.
"Haha excellent, thank you Quinn." He laughed.
Quinn looked stunned.
"What? N-n-no um I don't really..."
"Stop being such a wimp Quinn you'll be fine." Mr Fisher joked pulling him closer to the pig.
As Katie was watching from behind sharp pains kept coming in again making her clutch her stomach tight in pain. It was hard as everyone else was concentrating on Quinn being a wuss not being able to see Katie suffering in pain from behind. The pains shot through like bullets this time leaving Katie feeling dizzy and her vision getting darker until she fell back and collapsed on the floor.
"Sir can I let go of it now I think I've identified the..."
"Quinn your not even trying." Mr fisher cut in.
Tom turned around and saw Katie lying completely still on the floor alerting bells in his head to get help quick.
"Katie?" He shouted making everyone turn around and gasp.
"Mr Fisher!" Tom yelled.
Mr Fisher turned around alarmed telling everyone to move back including Tom, he turned Katie's head to check her breathing. Katie's eyes were firmly shut and her breathing was steady and slow.
"Katie? Can you hear me sweetheart?" Mr fisher called to her.
There was no response.
Mr fisher tried everything to wake her up, lightly pinching her, waving fans in her face and calling out her name more but it didn't seem to work as she still lay there not moving a muscle.
Everyone was muttering quietly, they stopped when Mr Fisher told them to move back. He picked Katie up and told Tom to get the door.
"Class stay where you are." Mr Fisher ordered.
"What happened to her? Does she faint at the sight of blood or something?" Quinn asked Tom.
Tom shut the door staring down at his shoes.
"Tom?" Quinn said louder.
Tom looked up into Quinn's light blue eyes.
"Something was definitely wrong with Katie in English after you stormed off." Tom told him.
"What do you mean? What was wrong with her?" Quinn asked.
"I don't know, it was like she was in pain, she was clutching her stomach." Tom said.
"I'm not a medical expert, maybe we should ask Benny." Quinn suggested.
"Maybe, we'll ask him later." Tom replied.

Benny was enjoying the peace and quiet in the park reading his favourite book about the solar system, his mind went back to the party last night and how much of a blast he had. Tom sure managed to pull off an awesome dance with Katie both of them were dancing in unison and it was great and everyone enjoyed it. Mr Fisher sure had a good time too spinning the decks and getting everyone going hyperactive on the dance floor. Quinn also managed to pull off a few moves himself managing to do several back flips which everyone was amazed at.
He snapped out of his memories as soon as he saw Tom and Quinn running towards him like a pack of wild beasts.
"Katie...she.....passed....out..." Quinn panted.
"Wait? What?" Benny asked as soon as Quinn got his breath back.
"It's Katie she passed out in science." Tom repeated.
"What?! What happened?!" Benny questioned.
"She had really bad stomach pains and she fainted in science when we did biology." Tom explained.
"But her fainting had nothing to do with the biology, obviously." Quinn continued.
Tom looked at Benny hopefully. "What do you thinks wrong with her?"
Benny looked around the park and rubbed his head before glancing back at his two friends.
"I don't know, you don't suppose...it could be the appendix."
"Yeah benzoid I don't think it would be the appendix." Quinn replied.
"yeah, anyway we'll just have to wait for some news because the last time we saw Katie she was being carried out by Mr Fisher to the first aid room." Tom explained.
"Um, guys I need to go mum needs me home." Quinn said suddenly.
"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow." Tom said.
Quinn was already running yo the streets when he heard a familiar voice call his name. "Quinn, wait!"
Janice caught up with him smiling sweetly. "Why didn't you wait for me?"
"Sorry Janice I just really need to get home." Quinn said awkwardly.
Janice nodded, "that's cool, where's your house?"
"Buxton road." Quinn told her.
"Really? I live just round the corner from you." Janice said excitedly.
"Really, that's really good." He paused, "I mean it's not a problem or anything."
Janice laughed tucking a bit of her brown wavy hair behind her ear.
"What happened with Katie then?"
"Oh, I'm not sure really you have to ask Tom that one, I was busy holding a pigs heart." Quinn replied.
"Charming." Janice scoffed.
"All I know she fainted and it wasn't because of the pig, Tom told me that she had stomach pains before." Quinn explained to her.
"Appendix?" Janice guessed.
"That's what Benny says."
"Who's Benny?" Janice asked.
"Oh our geeky friend who went off to America to work with MIT he's back for a month." Quinn told her.
"Oh my god. MIT! You friend is so lucky." Janice said.
"I know. Well he is a geek." Quinn chuckled.
The two had been talking for ages about families and jobs and hobbies they hadn't realised that they had just come to Quinn's house.
"Oh, I'm home." Quinn said.
Janice smiled.
"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." Janice said walking away.
"Janice wait." Quinn ordered making Janice stop an turn back to him.
"You don't suppose.....I could have your...phone number." Quinn asked politely.
"Sure." Janice said as Quinn passed his phone to her.
She typed it in and gave it back to Quinn.
"Thanks." Quinn said with a goofy grin on his face.
"No problem, I'll see you tomorrow then Quinn." Janice said walking away from the house.
"Yeah." Quinn muttered before walking into the house.