Chapter 32: Gone

I'm sorry your call can't be taken right now please leave your message after the tone.

Katie sighed, it's been more than 15 times she's tried to call Janice but her phone just keeps going on to answer phone.
Janice hasn't showed up for school for 2 weeks now, it was the 1st of December and Katie knew for a fact that Christmas was one of Janice's favourite holidays of the year. But something was wrong. It was like Janice had just been rubbed out of existence. Katie thought that as it was the 1st of December Janice would be ranting around Facebook and Instagram about the Christmas countdown and shopping but there was nothing.
"Hi Janice, your worrying me, I haven't heard from you for 2 weeks, I really hope your ok, see you soon." Katie said pressing the red button, she wished she could say more but the message tone would just cut her off.
Kelly walked past Katie's room as she saw Katie on her phone and looked in curiously.
"Katie? What are you doing?" She asked standing in the door way.
"Trying to phone Janice, I haven't heard from her in 2 weeks." Katie explained.
Kelly raised her eyebrows, "I don't even know how you two became best friends, when you came home after first seeing her you was like 'oh my god this new girl came into school I don't trust her she looks like a bitch' and now your like 'I feel so sorry for Jan I can't believe I ever treated her like that.' In my opinion Katie she's bad news, I thought you wouldn't fall for her silly little scum games she's playing." Kelly said fiercely.
"Kelly! Stop! You have no idea what Janice's background is so push off." Katie snapped loudly.
"It could be just one big lie, attention seeking, sneaky bitch." Kelly scoffed.
"Will you stop judging her like that?!" Katie screamed.
"Shut up Katie! Your only going to get hurt! I'm trying to look out for you because I'm your older sister and I care for you!" Kelly yelled.
"Care for me? Kelly you hate me you said a few weeks ago that you wish I was never born!"
"I was in a bad mood and stressed about my course work I love you really." Kelly said moving closer to Katie.
"No you don't! Get out! Your lying to me! I hate you Kelly, stop thinking you know what's best for me! I hate that your my sister!" Katie screamed as tears started welling in her eyes.
Kelly's stomach flipped like a pancake, she took a few steps back.
Katie realised what she just said and her head screamed in terror. She stood up as Kelly started walking out of her room.
"Kelly I'm sorry!" Katie called out racing after her on the landing.
"Kelly! Wait! Please!" Katie screamed as Kelly ran into her bedroom and slammed the door in Katie's face.
"Kelly?" Katie cried as tears started falling down her cheeks.
There was silence.
"I'm sorry." Katie said desperately.
Still there was silence. Katie moved back from the door and made her way back into her room bursting into tears.

"Good strike Amelia!" Quinn praised high fiving his cousin.
"Here's your drinks guys." Quinn's mum said carrying a tray full of drinks towards the table.
"Thanks mum." Quinn said taking his coco cola bottle.
"It's your turn to bowl Quinn." Amelia said as the ball came back round.
"Watch this I'm a professional." Quinn said carefully grabbing one of the heavy green balls.
"Remember Quinn focus." Quinn's uncle said patting him on the back.
Quinn lay his eye on the 10 bowling pins at the back and swung his arm back ready to strike. He swung his arm forwards letting the ball go as it rolled down the lane.
"Come on." Quinn grumbled.
The ball hit all the pins revealing a strike on the leaderboard.
"I did it! Yes!" Quinn yelled excitedly.
"Well done Quinnster, we'll celebrate by watching the match." Quinn's uncle cheered.
"Um, me and Claire was planning to watch 'the Bourne Identity' tonight." Sarah interrupted.
Quinn sighed, "watch it in your room you've got a telly."
"Fine then." Sarah groaned.
"I'm hungry." Amelia moaned.
"We'll get some pizza after we've finished this game yeah?" Quinn offered.
"But I want it now." Amelia demanded.
"Ok, we'll all have one last go at this and we'll go to pizza express, how about that?" Quinn said.
"Yeah!" Amelia nodded moving her pink headband back across her blonde hair.
"Anyway it's your turn." Quinn said as Amelia skipped to get the ball.
"I'm going to get a strike you watch Quinn." Amelia said.
Quinn chuckled, "I bet you will."

Katie leaned her back against the headboard of her bed clutching a pillow against her stomach staring at the TV. She was still soaking in today's events, she couldn't believe she snapped at her sister like that. She tries to laugh as she watched 'Family Guy' but even Peter Griffin couldn't make her crack a smile. All Katie could think about was Kelly. She wouldn't come down for dinner and she'd been locked away in her room since the fight.
About 10 minutes into the 2nd episode of Family Guy Katie's iPad started ringing from a Skype call. Katie's heart nearly skipped a beat.
Gabbie Hughes calling.
Katie quickly answered the Skype call and looked at the pixelated screen in front of her. It went into focus and there was Gabbie smiling. Gabbie was sat crossed legged in her bed her hair pulled into a side plait.
"Gabbie, I thought you were never going to speak to me again." Katie finally said after 30 seconds of awkward silence.
"I know your sorry and you'll never treat me like that again." Gabbie said.
Katie nodded biting her lip.
"Is something wrong?" Gabbie asked shifting closer to the screen.
Tears sprung into Katie's eyes, "nothing I'm fine." She choked up wiping a tear from her eye with the back of her finger.
"Katie don't cry what happened?" Gabbie asked.
Katie swallowed hard, "I had a massive fight with my big sister, I said something horrible to her and now she won't come out of her room and she's not speaking to me."
Gabbie looked at her sympathetically, "Katie, look, I fight with my sister all the time she throws things and swears at me and she's 7. It will blow over."
Katie shook her head, "not this time, she hates me."
More hot tears started streaming down Katie's cheeks as she tried to wipe them all away, "she was only trying to look out for me, being a responsible older sister, but I rejected her."
"Katie, don't worry you just need to apologise and talk to her, and if you can't just try and get through to her." Gabbie explained.
"Gabbie I'm scared." Katie suddenly said.
"Why?" Gabbie asked.
"What if I do the same thing to Ellie? And I'll end up losing both of my sisters." Katie cried.
"Katie don't think like that, you have a heart of gold don't let anyone tell you different." Gabbie said.
Katie nodded sniffing up, "thanks Gabbie."
"Look Katie I've got to go mums calling for me, I'll talk to you tomorrow yeah?" She offered.
"Ok, yeah sure." Katie agreed.
"Bye." Gabbie said turning the call off.
As the screen went blank Katie switched the TV off.
She turned to her side still clutching the pillow and cried herself to sleep.