Chapter 11: Getting Closer

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" Katie's grandad asks as he sees Katie walk into the kitchen with pyjama shorts, a tank top and a dressing gown on with and added messy bun.
"Not great." Katie muttered, she didn't feel like talking due to how ill she was, not forgetting the constant puking all night and lack of sleep.
"Come on, come sit down." Gilbert said warmly smiling at her inviting her to sit next to him.
She flopped next to him and he put his arm around her hugging her tight.
"You kept us all up last night." Gilbert said.
Katie lifted her head up weakly. "I'm sorry."
Gilbert looked into her dark eyes.
"What are you sorry for, it wasn't your fault."
"That's not what Kelly thinks." Katie sighed.
"What's she been saying?" Gilbert asked.
"Saying it's my fault because apparently I don't eat properly." Katie told him.
"Do you eat properly?" Gilbert asked her.
"Course I do, she just tells lies all the time." Katie said before she felt her stomach gurgle, she ran like a speed of lightning towards the sink.
Gilbert rushed to her aid as she puked coughing violently. He put his hand on her forehead and guided her towards the sofa.
"Your not going to school until you get fully better." Gilbert told her firmly.
Katie nodded briefly.
"Now I think you should get some rest it'll help settle your stomach." Gilbert suggested as Katie lay on the sofa closing her eyes and letting herself fall into a dreamworld to help avoid the horrible sickness.

Quinn had not stopped texting Janice nearly all day, he'd spent hours in his room on a Saturday texting her constantly talking about his dad, Tom, Katie, Benny, his mum, and Janice seemed to text him back almost immediately talking about her life and her family.
J: Quinn? Shall we meet up somewhere like the park or something? 😉
Q: sure maybe we can go to the high street and if I'm aloud I can treat you? 😊
J: Really? A boy has never offered to do that for me before ever! But I guess I'm in. ☺️
Q: Cool I'll see you there 😌
J: ok. 😋
Quinn was jumping around with excitement, in his head it was a date. It was the best day of his life finally taking the girl of his dreams out shopping.
He sure couldn't wait.

The breeze was cool and soft, cool enough for Quinn to wear his slim brown jacket. He slipped his hands in his pocket waiting patiently for Janice to come she was already 10 minutes late but Quinn didn't mind waiting for her a bit longer.
He started kicking the brown autumn leaves letting them crunch underneath his shoes until he hears Janice call his name.
"I'm so sorry I'm late I had to help my little brother get ready to go to his friends house." Janice apologised as she came next to Quinn.
She was wearing black leggings and shorts and a blue lacy top, her hair was tied up in a pony tail revealing her small dangly ring earrings.
"That's fine." Quinn said as they walked towards the city centre.
"So, where are you taking me first then?" Janice asked him.
"Wherever you want to go." Quinn said.
"I know exactly the place." Janice chuckled.

Quinn didn't mind it that Janice dragged him all through Primark he'd try and offer to buy her something but Janice was insistent not to be cheeky but Quinn would have none of it.
It was then Quinn's turn to drag her round some of his shops such as DVD stores and men clothes shops but Janice didn't mind either. They spent a lot of time chasing each other round the streets and hiding from each other in different aisles in shops and mucking about.
"Your great to hang around with you know." Janice commented as she took a sip of her strawberry smoothie.
"That's why everyone likes to hang around with me, they think I'm fun to hang around with." Quinn said stirring his slush.
"Exactly, they're right you know. You are a lot of fun." Janice smiled.
Quinn returned the smile.
"Hey, I know what keeps me occupied when I sit on seats like this in front of a massive window." Quinn said.
"What?" Janice asked.
"People watching." Quinn said.
"I do the same thing, I love it." Janice said excitedly.
They both spent the last 20 minutes laughing at some people wearing ridiculous outfits they even saw a person wearing a pineapple hat which sent them choking and spluttering on their drinks with laughter.
"Who would wear that in public?" Janice asked in between constant giggles.
"I don't even know." Quinn answered trying not to choke in his slush.
They laughed along looking at more people, a fat guy with a tight T-shirt, a woman that kept having to pull her trousers up and looking around awkwardly to see if anyone was looking.
After they calmed down Janice glanced at Quinn and smiled.
"Still don't understand how you don't have a girlfriend."
Quinn perched his head up. "I haven't really thought about it."
Janice stirred her smoothie softly as her mind started to go crazy, she was scared that she was going to start getting feelings for him and he wouldn't feel the same way.
"But people like to hang around with you, you said that before." Janice said referring back to earlier.
"Yeah, as friends not as relationships or whatever you want to call it." Quinn said frowning.
"Where's that smile?" Janice giggled making his smile appear on his face again.
"I love hanging around with you and anyone who can't see that are blind." Janice said proudly.
Quinn nodded he was now accepting the fact that he was getting closer and closer to Janice.