Chapter 13: Break in

As the sun began to rise, daylight was soon shining through the quiet but messy house.
You could hardly see the living room floor due to all the crisp packets and crumbs everywhere and not forgetting the pillows that were previously flung carelessly on the floor as well.
Then there on the sofa was Benny, Quinn, Katie and Tom fast asleep all sprawled out.
"Is anyone awake yet?" Benny muttered still half asleep after a while.
Quinn stirred slightly before falling off the sofa with a thud. "Ow."
Benny rubbed his head. "Did we all like fall asleep on the sofa?"
"Yeah, I think we did."
They then laid eyes on Tom and Katie who were still fast asleep.
"We should, um just wait for them to wake up." Quinn said walking into the kitchen Benny following.

20 minutes later
As Katie wakes up she notices she's on the sofa she looks around confused to see Benny and Quinn no where in sight but Tom next to her still asleep.
She lifts herself up and carefully dodges all the food and crisp packets on the floor.
"Morning Katie." A cheerful Benny says running down the stairs.
She smiles. "Where's Quinn?"
"Upstairs, is Tom still asleep?"
"Yeah, looks like an earthquake won't be able to wake that sleeping beauty up." Katie giggles.
"WHERE IS IT?!" Quinn rages storming down the stairs.
Tom nearly has a heart attack as he rolls off the sofa.
"Where's what?" Katie asks.
"My key!" Quinn shouts violently looking through the draws rummaging everything about.
"I had it! It was in my room!"
Benny ran upstairs.
"Whats he raging and shouting about?" Tom asks as he came into view.
"He's lost this key." Katie replied.
"GUYS? YOU NEED TO COME AND SEE THIS NOW!" Benny yelled from upstairs.
All three of them ran upstairs like a pack of cheetahs and ran up to Quinn's room to see to their horror the window open.
To his absolute shock an horror Quinn ran up to it and peered outside.
"Has one of you been pulling a prank on me?"
"No Quinn, we'd never do anything like this." Katie said shaking her head in dismay.
"Maybe we can look outside." Tom suggested.
"Fine." Quinn huffed.

"Oh my god." Katie said slightly scared as she and the boys stared at the footprints that were left in the mud.
"Maybe it was one of ours." Tom said trying to make a rational explanation.
Quinn shook his head. "No the footprints are in shapes like boots and the feet are far bigger than ours."
Katie looked up at Tom in fright. "That means someone broke into the house while we were asleep."
Tom put his arm round her. "It's ok."
"No, no it's not. Anything could've happened." She cried running back into the house.
Tom sighed. "I'll get her."
"What are we going to do? We need to call the police." Benny said.
"No, nothing else got stolen it's fine." Quinn said angrily.
Benny stared at him in shock. "Are you crazy? We need to call them now!"
"Fine I'll call them!" Quinn yelled.

"Katie, what's wrong? Nothing happened." Tom told her.
Katie turned around as anger flared up. "What if it did? What if the person turned out to be a murderer on the loose and we all got killed?"
"Katie! Stop overreacting!" Tom yelled.
Katie was taken aback and sat on the sofa.
"I'm sorry." Tom said after a moment. "I shouldn't have snapped."
Katie put her face in her hands and then started crying.
Tom walked quickly up to her. "Look I said I was sorry."
"It's not you." She cried even more.
"Then what is it?" Tom asked as Katie say up wiping the tears that were streaming down her face.
"You can't say anything to anyone." Katie said.
"I won't I promise." Tom promised.
"Ok, I was round about 8 at the time and my sister was 11 and mum and dad left us home alone for a few hours. So me and Kelly just mucked about for a bit for fun and we heard someone break through the door so me and Kelly barricaded ourselves in our mum and dads bedroom and we heard them trash everything downstairs. Then they came upstairs saying 'you can't hide forever, come out wherever you are, I'm going to find you' and me and Kelly managed to escape by climbing out of the bedroom window. Kelly called the police then mum and dad." Katie explained.
"And that's why you freaked out when we find out that someone got into this house." Tom said.
Katie nodded. "Yeah."
Tom hugged her, "it's fine now the persons gone."
"Um sorry to interrupt but I'm just going to call the police." Quinn said coming into the living room.
"That's a good idea. Best the police know." Katie said.
Quinn studied her while dialling 999. "Are you alright you look as if you've been..-"
"I'm fine."
Katie gave Tom a quick glance and a small smile and walked out.
"Is she alright?" Quinn asked Tom.
"Yeah she's fine." Tom said before Quinn finally started talking to the police.

Katie staggered outside as her head started banging. She finally thought that her illness had gone and got better by now but it seemed to get worse. She rushed over to the bushes as her throat flared up like it was on fire and spewed. It seemed to be getting worse.
"Katie?" A voice said behind her.
She coughed and turned around to see Benny standing there his face full of worry.
"Are you alright?"
"I'm fine." Katie answered him weakly.
"Are you sure?"
"Just too much to eat last night I think."
"No, Katie your sick."
Katie looked up at him. "I'm not, I'm fine Benny." She snapped coldly walking back into the house.
Benny knew what was wrong with her.